DIY Dosing Containers | BRStv Spotlight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First is the end a clean cut? Great so continue to the next statment if not start with that.

If u have sand paper or emery cloth sand down the lip of the tubing just a little. The tube should be pushed in almost a half inch to completely seal it and sometimes with a lip on the tube it won’t seat all the way. If memory serves me right it was like I pushed the rod in and then had to push it in one more time. Hope this helps

CeeGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to come back and give proper feedback on this.

With quite a bit of effort I was able to finally get this working but I had to sort it out a bit differently than in the video as what you guys did simply didn't work for me. This was much more difficult (for me) than it looks in the videos and although I got it going I am going to have to order some more Neptune systems dosing line (I find it to work a tad better than anything else I have tried because it feels a bit more "sturdy").

I am really glad you gave me a reply Randy as it gave me the will to try it one more time instead of trashing everything and also thank you to justingraham for the same nudge to get me to give it another shot. I sure hope others who try this have an easier time than I did.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With quite a bit of effort I was able to finally get this working but I had to sort it out a bit differently than in the video as what you guys did simply didn't work for me. This was much more difficult (for me) than it looks in the videos and although I got it going I am going to have to order some more Neptune systems dosing line (I find it to work a tad better than anything else I have tried because it feels a bit more "sturdy").

I am really glad you gave me a reply Randy as it gave me the will to try it one more time instead of trashing everything and also thank you to justingraham for the same nudge to get me to give it another shot. I sure hope others who try this have an easier time than I did.
U have any pics I wonder what u had to do differently

And yes Dos tubing is great and I agree way sturdy

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

U have any pics I wonder what u had to do differently

And yes Dos tubing is great and I agree way sturdy

CeeGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had to run a short piece of RO tubing into the top and then heat up Neptune tubing by dipping into boiling water and then sticking a pencil into it to stretch it out. It was still pretty difficult to get the Neptune tubing over the RO tubing. I was unable to create the suction any other way though I am not ruling out that I may be doing something incorrectly. There was no way in my setup that I was going to be able to fit the RO Tubing like they show in their videos onto the DOS unless I wanted to end up with the unit under water in my sump as I don't have a lot of room under my tank because I run a much larger sump than most people do for my size tank.

Another thing I did differently is I drilled the hole into the cap itself beside the bulkhead fitting as to not mess up my jugs.

I am going to order some more Neptune tubing because what I have is working but still doesn't look as neat as I would like and redo everything to tidy it up a bit more.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U can take the head off the dos and do it outside as well

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the flexible soft 1/4 inch lines fit snug in the push connect fittings? If I remember correctly the apex dos lines are a tad thicker then standard too. So if one were to use 1/4" ro tubing instead of the soft lines, how would you connect the other end to the dos or ghl? They need to be soft on dosing pump side.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to give this another shot today I have an idea. That being said I don’t think this is BRS’s best DIY shining moment. Even if I can get suction Getting something to hook up to the dosing tubing to connect to the dosing pumps is going to be another challenge. The Neptune DOS being the bigger problem of the two.
It was definitely a recent problem. I got all the stuff two weeks ago.
I do appreciate your effort to step up to the plate and try to help!

No problem at all! Just give us a quick call and they'll get you taken care of. :)

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have a different set up then u guys because I didn’t have to heat anything up and 1/4 od is 1/4 outside diameter so it shouldn’t matter unless u have a different murlock bulkhead

I’m using the Neptune tubing and sure it was a bit tough to get it on the dos properly but u can take the head off

Does your guys look like this?

48C524D0-95E1-443C-83C7-DED8FFBDEEBF.jpeg
8E4A8737-CEC6-408E-B7C5-B0E7863FF13D.jpeg

If so I really need a picture of what ur talking about because I’m a bit confused

CeeGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what I tried to do! Now I’m jealous lol. No matter what I couldn’t get the siphon to start. Maybe my Neptune line is screwed up because it is old. Going to order more and try to do that. I would really like that clean install that you have going.

I had to use a small piece of RO/DI tubing and the stretch the Neptune tubing over top of it. I will try to get a pic tonight.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what I tried to do! Now I’m jealous lol. No matter what I couldn’t get the siphon to start. Maybe my Neptune line is screwed up because it is old. Going to order more and try to do that. I would really like that clean install that you have going.

I had to use a small piece of RO/DI tubing and the stretch the Neptune tubing over top of it. I will try to get a pic tonight.
Yea if u want u can pm me so we don’t hog this thread.

Also the acrylic rod has to be pushed up far into the murlock it’s seeiously like a quarter inch it goes in

CeeGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea if u want u can pm me so we don’t hog this thread.

Also the acrylic rod has to be pushed up far into the murlock it’s seeiously like a quarter inch it goes in

Got everything working like yours now. Ordered new Neptune tubing. Worked without a problem. Guess my other line was just old or something.

Sglinias1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having the same problem with air coming through the push connect fittings. Bout them from brs along with the acrylic tubing and cant get them to stop pulling in air. Not sure how to fix it

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having the same problem with air coming through the push connect fittings. Bout them from brs along with the acrylic tubing and cant get them to stop pulling in air. Not sure how to fix it
Set up mine today but have not try until I read your posted
Sure enough one container fine but the other keep sucking air
I had to remove and reconnected the acrylic side with more pressure
Now no more air

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back