DIY Dosing Containers | BRStv Spotlight

Discussion in 'Bulk Reef Supply' started by randyBRS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. justingraham

justingraham Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member Partner Member 2018

Man Voss bottles are the best CC61B691-B35C-483E-BD55-552A640BC2A2.jpeg

Mystical_Knight and randyBRS like this.

2. LbulletM

LbulletM Well-Known Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

It'll look nice!

But the reason I liked the painted caps above is that the different colors give you an immediate indication of what solution is in which container.

BeachBum2012 likes this.
  3. justingraham

justingraham Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member Partner Member 2018

Yea what are you doseing? That’s a lot of heads

4. BeachBum2012

BeachBum2012 Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

Absolutely. That was my first thought too. I've got a label maker though. Figured I'd go with purple and make sure labels are always facing front.

LbulletM likes this.
  5. randyBRS

randyBRS BRStv Apprentice :-P R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I wonder if VOSS knows how popular they are in the reefing community! :p

6. zsxking

zsxking Well-Known Member

My bad, I mean the hard acrylic tube that goes into the container. Is it not the same size as the one that fit into air tubing?

Also as you mention using RODI tubing going out, do you use that all the way to the dosing pump? I found it too rigid and it's hard to push into dosing pump's connector, which use the air tubing style connector, not quick connect.

7. justingraham

Brs sells hard 1/4 acrylic that’s what I used to go into my container it slides relitively easy into a murlock conectors then from that I used Dos tubbing to the dosing head securing it with small zip ties

8. randyBRS

I’m sorry, I’m a bit confused by this question, “Is it not the same size as the one that fit into air tubing?”.

Is there a specific fitting you are talking about or are you asking if airline tubing will fit over the 1/4” acrylic tubing? :)

-Randy

9. shiftline

shiftline Well-Known Member

I have a Neptune dos and a jebao doing pump and managed to get the RODI tubing to work with both of them :)

10. zsxking

zsxking Well-Known Member

Sorry, my question is, how to connect the rigid RODI tubing to the flexible air tubing? My dosing pump take air tubing, with the normal air tubing connector that you just slide into. The rigid RODI tubing is too rigid to slide in that and stay secured.

randyBRS likes this.
  11. randyBRS

Ahh, now I gotcha! This little fitting may solve that for you. It’s rigid on one end for a solid connection into the push-connect fitting and barbed on the other to accept your softer tubing. :)

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mur-lok-stem-adapter-tube-x-hose-stem.html
    [​IMG]

12. Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel Well-Known Member

AWESOME!! This is the answer hooking up my ghl to silicone tubing to BRS space saving jugs.. Right now I just have the soft tubing going into a 1/2 liter container

randyBRS likes this.
  13. emvanburen

emvanburen Active Member

I asked for empty voss bottles from a high end brunch I went to. That raised eyebrows!

randyBRS likes this.
  14. CeeGee

CeeGee Well-Known Member MTRCMember

Three thumbs down!

Bought all the crap to do this and it does not work. The connection isn't air tight and no matter what I am using it can't seem to draw the liquid through the tubing. I am using a neptune dos and a BRS dosing pump.

Tried Neptune systems line, RO tubing like the video (which causes severe issues connecting to the pumps) and regular airline tubing. None of them worked. Real PITA getting to all this stuff in my system. Bunch of wasted time and money on stuff that will go in the garbage.

Thanks BRS!

15. paphater

paphater Well-Known Member

Run RO tubing straight down in to the dosing container and you should be good. Keep it simple and avoid the ro bulkheads and what not.

LbulletM likes this.
  16. randyBRS

Oh no! I'm so sorry about this not working for you. These can sometimes be a bit finicky, but for nearly all of the times we've made them here at BRS they've worked without any issue.

If this was a fairly recent issue, please give us a quick call and our CS team should be able to get you taken care of right away! 763-432-9691 :)

-Randy

17. sk8elenex92

sk8elenex92 Well-Known Member

Capture.JPG

randyBRS likes this.
  18. CeeGee

I am going to give this another shot today I have an idea. That being said I don’t think this is BRS’s best DIY shining moment. Even if I can get suction Getting something to hook up to the dosing tubing to connect to the dosing pumps is going to be another challenge. The Neptune DOS being the bigger problem of the two.

It was definitely a recent problem. I got all the stuff two weeks ago.

I do appreciate your effort to step up to the plate and try to help!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    randyBRS likes this.
  19. justingraham

I think ur over thinking it it’s truly easy u need this (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-4-push-connect-bulkhead-tank-adapter.html)

And it’s simple the bottom part gets the acrylic rod and the top gets the tubing u might want to get those cool little 1/4 clips but mine has never lost suction just make sure everything is pushed together tightly and there is no way once the rod has fluid in it the dos will loose suction

It can be done with the containers and a dos as I’m doing it right now don’t forget to add a vent in the container or the dos will suck the bottle in

20. CeeGee

I have all of those parts and installed all correctly. The acrylic tubing itself doesn’t feel like it makes a good connection is what seems to be the problem. The siphon never starts.

Draft saved Draft deleted