DIY Dosing Containers | BRStv Spotlight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man Voss bottles are the best
CC61B691-B35C-483E-BD55-552A640BC2A2.jpeg

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll look nice!

But the reason I liked the painted caps above is that the different colors give you an immediate indication of what solution is in which container.
Yea what are you doseing? That’s a lot of heads

BeachBum2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll look nice!

But the reason I liked the painted caps above is that the different colors give you an immediate indication of what solution is in which container.
Absolutely. That was my first thought too. I've got a label maker though. Figured I'd go with purple and make sure labels are always facing front.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically airline is too soft and pliable to work with push connect fittings and create a seal. The tubing in this video is the same 1/4" tubing we use for RODI units. :)

-Randy

My bad, I mean the hard acrylic tube that goes into the container. Is it not the same size as the one that fit into air tubing?

Also as you mention using RODI tubing going out, do you use that all the way to the dosing pump? I found it too rigid and it's hard to push into dosing pump's connector, which use the air tubing style connector, not quick connect.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad, I mean the hard acrylic tube that goes into the container. Is it not the same size as the one that fit into air tubing?

Also as you mention using RODI tubing going out, do you use that all the way to the dosing pump? I found it too rigid and it's hard to push into dosing pump's connector, which use the air tubing style connector, not quick connect.
Brs sells hard 1/4 acrylic that’s what I used to go into my container it slides relitively easy into a murlock conectors then from that I used Dos tubbing to the dosing head securing it with small zip ties

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m sorry, I’m a bit confused by this question, “Is it not the same size as the one that fit into air tubing?”.

Is there a specific fitting you are talking about or are you asking if airline tubing will fit over the 1/4” acrylic tubing? :)

-Randy

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Neptune dos and a jebao doing pump and managed to get the RODI tubing to work with both of them :)

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry, I’m a bit confused by this question, “Is it not the same size as the one that fit into air tubing?”.

Is there a specific fitting you are talking about or are you asking if airline tubing will fit over the 1/4” acrylic tubing? :)

-Randy

Sorry, my question is, how to connect the rigid RODI tubing to the flexible air tubing? My dosing pump take air tubing, with the normal air tubing connector that you just slide into. The rigid RODI tubing is too rigid to slide in that and stay secured.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, my question is, how to connect the rigid RODI tubing to the flexible air tubing? My dosing pump take air tubing, with the normal air tubing connector that you just slide into. The rigid RODI tubing is too rigid to slide in that and stay secured.

Ahh, now I gotcha! This little fitting may solve that for you. It’s rigid on one end for a solid connection into the push-connect fitting and barbed on the other to accept your softer tubing. :)

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mur-lok-stem-adapter-tube-x-hose-stem.html

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too! Although it was embarrassing paying $3.79 for 800mL of water at Whole Foods. I told everyone in line I was making dosing containers so they wouldn’t think I was crazy. It didn’t work.

image.jpg

I asked for empty voss bottles from a high end brunch I went to. That raised eyebrows!

CeeGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three thumbs down!

Bought all the crap to do this and it does not work. The connection isn't air tight and no matter what I am using it can't seem to draw the liquid through the tubing. I am using a neptune dos and a BRS dosing pump.

Tried Neptune systems line, RO tubing like the video (which causes severe issues connecting to the pumps) and regular airline tubing. None of them worked. Real PITA getting to all this stuff in my system. Bunch of wasted time and money on stuff that will go in the garbage.

Thanks BRS!

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three thumbs down!

Bought all the crap to do this and it does not work. The connection isn't air tight and no matter what I am using it can't seem to draw the liquid through the tubing. I am using a neptune dos and a BRS dosing pump.

Tried Neptune systems line, RO tubing like the video (which causes severe issues connecting to the pumps) and regular airline tubing. None of them worked. Real PITA getting to all this stuff in my system. Bunch of wasted time and money on stuff that will go in the garbage.

Thanks BRS!

Oh no! I'm so sorry about this not working for you. These can sometimes be a bit finicky, but for nearly all of the times we've made them here at BRS they've worked without any issue.

If this was a fairly recent issue, please give us a quick call and our CS team should be able to get you taken care of right away! 763-432-9691 :)

-Randy

CeeGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! I'm so sorry about this not working for you. These can sometimes be a bit finicky, but for nearly all of the times we've made them here at BRS they've worked without any issue.

If this was a fairly recent issue, please give us a quick call and our CS team should be able to get you taken care of right away! 763-432-9691 :)

-Randy

I am going to give this another shot today I have an idea. That being said I don’t think this is BRS’s best DIY shining moment. Even if I can get suction Getting something to hook up to the dosing tubing to connect to the dosing pumps is going to be another challenge. The Neptune DOS being the bigger problem of the two.

It was definitely a recent problem. I got all the stuff two weeks ago.

I do appreciate your effort to step up to the plate and try to help!

Last edited:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to give this another shot today I have an idea. That being said I don’t think this is BRS’s best DIY shining moment. Even if I can get suction Getting something to hook up to the dosing tubing to connect to the dosing pumps is going to be another challenge. The Neptune DOS being the bigger problem of the two.

It was definitely a recent problem. I got all the stuff two weeks ago.

I do appreciate your effort to step up to the plate and try to help!
I think ur over thinking it it’s truly easy u need this (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-4-push-connect-bulkhead-tank-adapter.html)

And it’s simple the bottom part gets the acrylic rod and the top gets the tubing u might want to get those cool little 1/4 clips but mine has never lost suction just make sure everything is pushed together tightly and there is no way once the rod has fluid in it the dos will loose suction

It can be done with the containers and a dos as I’m doing it right now don’t forget to add a vent in the container or the dos will suck the bottle in

CeeGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think ur over thinking it it’s truly easy u need this (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-4-push-connect-bulkhead-tank-adapter.html)

And it’s simple the bottom part gets the acrylic rod and the top gets the tubing u might want to get those cool little 1/4 clips but mine has never lost suction just make sure everything is pushed together tightly and there is no way once the rod has fluid in it the dos will loose suction

It can be done with the containers and a dos as I’m doing it right now don’t forget to add a vent in the container or the dos will suck the bottle in

I have all of those parts and installed all correctly. The acrylic tubing itself doesn’t feel like it makes a good connection is what seems to be the problem. The siphon never starts.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back