DIY Dosing Containers | BRStv Spotlight

Discussion in 'Bulk Reef Supply' started by randyBRS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Medic56

Medic56 Member R2R Supporter

Sorry, Are they a specific size or brand ?

2. BeachBum2012

BeachBum2012 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

LOL. No worries. They're quarter inch bulkheads and quarter inch tube.

3. justingraham

justingraham Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

If u look back I put the web address in this thread

4. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I just made the switch to this from trying to use the little bulkheads. Too much (and too unpredictable) air in the lines resulting in unknown amounts of dosing. Drilled 1/4" holes in the caps of my bottles instead and just pushed the tube through to the bottom - nice and tight.

LbulletM likes this.
  5. BigJohnny

BigJohnny Valuable Member

Have no idea how these don't work for people I've made like 10 of these in the last 3 years and all work perfect.

6. CeeGee

CeeGee Active Member MTRCMember

I think after the trouble I had it I believe the trick is getting good straight/clean cuts and using new tubing (Neptune tubing that is a bit more rigid). Once I did those two things it worked flawlessly and I now feel like a complete jerk for complaining.

That being said it took a bit of effort on my part to get to the bottom of what was wrong.

Matt Peacock likes this.
  7. paphater

paphater Well-Known Member

My issue was my containers are hinged and any sort of bump would break them loose enough to lose prime. With running straight tubing I never have to worry about it. I'm sure with screw cap connections it would be a non issue. Either way I'm a believer in keeping things simple.

8. FunkEngine

FunkEngine Member

So is there a tubing that would both fit the 1/4" peg 1/4" barb fittings and fit the little adapter things that connect to the doser? Standard airline tubing was far too small even with heating to try to coerce it onto the barb.

9. BigJohnny

Such a jerk ;)

10. BigJohnny

I use the tubing that came with the BRS dosers, whatever that is. Polyethylene I believe

11. rioreef

rioreef Member

Digging this up to help others that have flexible dosing tubing and may be getting air in at the 1/4 inch mMur-loc bulkhead.

Similiar to what others have said, just from how I did it.

You are talking about these stem adapters. I got these and used them to connect to the Mur-loc 1/4 bulkheads. I am using the Neptune dosing line and getting it to fit over the barb. This tubing has thicker walls and makes it easier. I put a small amount of silicone for rubber seals that BRS sells on the barbed stem, then I heated up the Neptune tubing (boiling water) and pushed it on. The key was I used the edge of my kitchen counter as a solid backing to put the hose end of the adapter against and then firmly pushed the flexible line onto the barbed end. Just hold this adapter tight.

This creates a solid connection and if you want to you could add small zip ties for added comfort.

BigJohnny, dwwataz and randyBRS like this.
  12. joaquin706

joaquin706 Member

I bought the Murdock bulkheads and acrylic rods but for the life ... the doser can’t draw any liquid ...

pelphrey likes this.
  13. justingraham

justingraham Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Means u are drawing air somewhere make sure all connections are tight

Katrina71 likes this.
  14. rioreef

rioreef Member

First check all tubing and their are clean cuts on the ends and that the tubing is seated all the way in. My containers lids seal tight and I have added a small air hole in the lid next to the mur-loc bulkhead. 1/16 drill bit. This prevents any vacuum that would not allow for fluid to be drawn.
    4C1E832F-0A07-4D5E-84E0-8D24707AA160.jpeg

pelphrey likes this.
  15. randyBRS

randyBRS BRStv Host :-) R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Agreed, it is vital that the connections into the Mur-Lok fittings are pushed in as far as physically possible to help create an airtight seal. We've also found success with using the 1/4" polyethylene tubing for the draw side of the dosing pumps, as they are more rigid and can hold inside the fitting tighter. We're actually testing a couple of additional ways to reduce airdraw on some of these bulkheads by trying some silicon or non-oil based lubrication around the tubing before going into the fitting. If all else fails, it may be a good way to mitigate air draw.

-Randy

pelphrey likes this.
  16. pelphrey

pelphrey Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor

I had a similar situation last week with the bulk head and acrylic tubing. For me the root cause was not getting a clear break in the rod, so when it was pushed into the bulkhead it seated but didn't create that seal. I had some RODI tubing laying around and used it instead. The mur-lok tubing has worked great so far!

CE68524E-4C3E-4048-902D-35C416CD6D13.jpeg

MURedhawk, Reef_monster and randyBRS like this.
  17. NS Mike D

NS Mike D Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

love it. I am a competitive bbqer and couldn't resist (and give away part of my secret to award winning ribs :) )

IMG_1988.JPG

18. siggy

siggy The more I learn the dumber I become R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Thats a Stage Prop sump !..its too clean and organized

randyBRS and pelphrey like this.
  19. Dogtown

Dogtown Active Member

We always seem to have empty Patron tequila bottles laying around. They have a heavy base so they never tip over and they hold full 750ml. Drill the cork with a 1/4" bit and you're in business. Now you have a good excuse to buy some more tequila! Patron.jpeg .

VB Don, Ponraj A, Bracka345 and 8 others like this.
  20. Dogtown

Dogtown Active Member

Almost forgot to mention that if you like this idea (and there are many great ones here), use a small plastic rod and a couple of zip ties to hold the 1/4" tubing straight and pointing to the bottom of the bottle. I used a piece of plastic clothes hanger. There are better ways but this is simple and works.

Draft saved Draft deleted