DIY Dosing Containers | BRStv Spotlight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run RO tubing straight down in to the dosing container and you should be good. Keep it simple and avoid the ro bulkheads and what not.

I just made the switch to this from trying to use the little bulkheads. Too much (and too unpredictable) air in the lines resulting in unknown amounts of dosing. Drilled 1/4" holes in the caps of my bottles instead and just pushed the tube through to the bottom - nice and tight.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have no idea how these don't work for people I've made like 10 of these in the last 3 years and all work perfect.

CeeGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have no idea how these don't work for people I've made like 10 of these in the last 3 years and all work perfect.

I think after the trouble I had it I believe the trick is getting good straight/clean cuts and using new tubing (Neptune tubing that is a bit more rigid). Once I did those two things it worked flawlessly and I now feel like a complete jerk for complaining.

That being said it took a bit of effort on my part to get to the bottom of what was wrong.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue was my containers are hinged and any sort of bump would break them loose enough to lose prime. With running straight tubing I never have to worry about it. I'm sure with screw cap connections it would be a non issue. Either way I'm a believer in keeping things simple.

FunkEngine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is there a tubing that would both fit the 1/4" peg 1/4" barb fittings and fit the little adapter things that connect to the doser? Standard airline tubing was far too small even with heating to try to coerce it onto the barb.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think after the trouble I had it I believe the trick is getting good straight/clean cuts and using new tubing (Neptune tubing that is a bit more rigid). Once I did those two things it worked flawlessly and I now feel like a complete jerk for complaining.

That being said it took a bit of effort on my part to get to the bottom of what was wrong.
Such a jerk ;)

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is there a tubing that would both fit the 1/4" peg 1/4" barb fittings and fit the little adapter things that connect to the doser? Standard airline tubing was far too small even with heating to try to coerce it onto the barb.
I use the tubing that came with the BRS dosers, whatever that is. Polyethylene I believe

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Digging this up to help others that have flexible dosing tubing and may be getting air in at the 1/4 inch mMur-loc bulkhead.

Similiar to what others have said, just from how I did it.

You are talking about these stem adapters. I got these and used them to connect to the Mur-loc 1/4 bulkheads. I am using the Neptune dosing line and getting it to fit over the barb. This tubing has thicker walls and makes it easier. I put a small amount of silicone for rubber seals that BRS sells on the barbed stem, then I heated up the Neptune tubing (boiling water) and pushed it on. The key was I used the edge of my kitchen counter as a solid backing to put the hose end of the adapter against and then firmly pushed the flexible line onto the barbed end. Just hold this adapter tight.

This creates a solid connection and if you want to you could add small zip ties for added comfort.

joaquin706

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Got a quick one today about building some DIY Dosing Containers. Show us what you did to make yours!! :)

I bought the Murdock bulkheads and acrylic rods but for the life ... the doser can’t draw any liquid ...

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Murdock bulkheads and acrylic rods but for the life ... the doser can’t draw any liquid ...

First check all tubing and their are clean cuts on the ends and that the tubing is seated all the way in. My containers lids seal tight and I have added a small air hole in the lid next to the mur-loc bulkhead. 1/16 drill bit. This prevents any vacuum that would not allow for fluid to be drawn.
4C1E832F-0A07-4D5E-84E0-8D24707AA160.jpeg

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed, it is vital that the connections into the Mur-Lok fittings are pushed in as far as physically possible to help create an airtight seal. We've also found success with using the 1/4" polyethylene tubing for the draw side of the dosing pumps, as they are more rigid and can hold inside the fitting tighter. We're actually testing a couple of additional ways to reduce airdraw on some of these bulkheads by trying some silicon or non-oil based lubrication around the tubing before going into the fitting. If all else fails, it may be a good way to mitigate air draw.

-Randy

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a similar situation last week with the bulk head and acrylic tubing. For me the root cause was not getting a clear break in the rod, so when it was pushed into the bulkhead it seated but didn't create that seal. I had some RODI tubing laying around and used it instead. The mur-lok tubing has worked great so far!

CE68524E-4C3E-4048-902D-35C416CD6D13.jpeg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar situation last week with the bulk head and acrylic tubing. For me the root cause was not getting a clear break in the rod, so when it was pushed into the bulkhead it seated but didn't create that seal. I had some RODI tubing laying around and used it instead. The mur-lok tubing has worked great so far!
CE68524E-4C3E-4048-902D-35C416CD6D13.jpeg
Thats a Stage Prop sump !..its too clean and organized

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We always seem to have empty Patron tequila bottles laying around. They have a heavy base so they never tip over and they hold full 750ml. Drill the cork with a 1/4" bit and you're in business. Now you have a good excuse to buy some more tequila!
Patron.jpeg

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We always seem to have empty Patron tequila bottles laying around. They have a heavy base so they never tip over and they hold full 750ml. Drill the cork with a 1/4" bit and you're in business. Now you have a good excuse to buy some more tequila!
Patron.jpeg
Almost forgot to mention that if you like this idea (and there are many great ones here), use a small plastic rod and a couple of zip ties to hold the 1/4" tubing straight and pointing to the bottom of the bottle. I used a piece of plastic clothes hanger. There are better ways but this is simple and works.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back