DIY Drop off Aquarium Glass Thickness? ENGINEER HELP?

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to build DIY my own Drop Off Aquarium but not finding glass thickness easily. Planning to Euro brace (i think thats what it is called) similar to this build?https://www.europages.co.uk/Drop-Of...m/MANUFAKTUR-VON-DOBERSTEIN/cpid-5713720.html

IMG_20200210_132519 (2).jpg

Hoping someone can help!

OP
OP
Nate Chalk

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a quote for 3/4 inch glass $4500.... hoping to be able to get the thickness down and save thousands

Would also like to understand acrylic and glass diff :eek:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to build DIY my own Drop Off Aquarium but not finding glass thickness easily. Planning to Euro brace (i think thats what it is called) similar to this build?https://www.europages.co.uk/Drop-Of...m/MANUFAKTUR-VON-DOBERSTEIN/cpid-5713720.html

IMG_20200210_132519 (2).jpg

Hoping someone can help!
got a quote for 3/4 inch glass $4500.... hoping to be able to get the thickness down and save thousands

Would also like to understand acrylic and glass diff :eek:

$4500 seems quite a bit high to me.

I'm not sure if this will help but it might point you in the right direction.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the mfgrs out there, doesn't someone make something close to what you want? I admire your ambitions but as you've found prices are astronomical from glass suppliers. Personally I think you could do better buying from a tank co.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit bigger than your posted dimensions length wise and narrower on the width but...

I priced out a 6 foot drop off and man the price was just insane. Something about the drop off has custom builders pricing it out of reason.

OP
OP
Nate Chalk

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit bigger than your posted dimensions length wise and narrower on the width but...

I priced out a 6 foot drop off and man the price was just insane. Something about the drop off has custom builders pricing it out of reason.
I know... i guess i dont understand. Thinking about converting my 90 gallon (current) into a drop off.... wont be as clean. but will only cost about $50..

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That honestly sounds about right price wise for 3/4". Your glass thickness is calculated mostly by the longest deepest point (36"×36"). If you want to decrease thickness you'd want to make the tank hight shorter as it's the dimension that changes thickness the most . Ask the glazier what safety factor they are using for the calculation as well. Most professional aquarium manufacturers use a safety factor of .4 btw. With a correctly braced tank built by an experienced person that would be 1/4" thick glass for the dimensions you listed however if you've never built a tank I'd absolutely increase the thickness.
The glazier you deal with will also likely charge you extra for the complicated cuts involved with building a drop off and finishing all the edges. The edges that meet where the drop happens will need to be carefully planned and detailed to be cut correctly and notched in the right places. Most tanks have three surfaces interconnecting at the corners a drop-off has an added intersection where the drop takes place that needs high accuracy and thought as how you're going to make the connection. I built my current tank (drop-off) in acrylic, it's about 150gals the acrylic itself was about $2000. A large cost for these materials is the shipping so if you can pick up your supplies it saves a lot. There are also sometimes standard sizes that a shop will work in so you can always ask if there's a certain dimension that's increasing your cost. Building a small custom.tank like this will absolutely cost more than buying a similar size one btw. Build thread is in my profile if your curious.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
internet pricing of 3/4 glass is roughly $1600 for glass to make a 36x36x30 aquarium..
Technically a tank that size should have a 1" thick bottom (in my estimates) and not accounted for..
Bottom could be 3/4 tempered and 3/4"..

$4500 seems really high.. and the Nuvo link above kind of proves it.
I mean everyone got to eat .. but.......
For fun:

I know it has NOTHING to do w/ this thread but more fun.
Think its the "zilber-shnit thing.. ;)
My apologies..

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 45.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back