Diy dryrock is colorant safe?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on making a batch of diy dryrock and cant for the life of me find someone who sells white cement mix in my area. So I was wondering is there a safe colorant or brightener I could add?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve made some of my own rocks with Portland cement. They come out grey. I think it would be easier to find reef safe white paint (if you really want them white, they will change color anyway) than it would be to find white cement. IMO. Good luck

RockyroadReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve made some of my own rocks with Portland cement. They come out grey. I think it would be easier to find reef safe white paint (if you really want them white, they will change color anyway) than it would be to find white cement. IMO. Good luck
@LordofCinder. I'm making my own rock from Portland cement, playground sand, crushed aragonite, and rock salt mix. Ive had in in a bucket of fresh water for weeks and weeks now because I'm nervous it will kill everything in my tank how to I know when it is safe? The pH of the water has been fairly high but has stayed constant and hasn't had any swings. Any advice?

RockyroadReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy used pvc primer to color his rock. He said you have to let it dry really well though or else it will leach out and be toxic, but once dry it is safe. I haven't tried it myself but here is the video! Good luck

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LordofCinder. I'm making my own rock from Portland cement, playground sand, crushed aragonite, and rock salt mix. Ive had in in a bucket of fresh water for weeks and weeks now because I'm nervous it will kill everything in my tank how to I know when it is safe? The pH of the water has been fairly high but has stayed constant and hasn't had any swings. Any advice?
It takes about 3 months. Need to wait for the ph to be same as our tanks, about 8. Change the water once in a while. I used a power head to keep the water from being stagnant, but not sure if that’s necessary. Good luck.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back