Diy durso plumbing

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 g reef ready tank. Built my own plumbing for the drain and return pipes. Fo I need to use cement on the return line at the bulkhead or can I use some nylon tape( plumbing tape)? For the drain pipe to the sump I'm thinking the same using plumber's tape and not use cement?

Looking for opinions. The plumbing is for the dual overflows inside the tank. Underneath hasn't been figured out yet.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All slip pipe joints outside the tank to the sump are glued. Both the drains and returns. All threaded ones are sealed with thread compound for plastic. Don't glue any joints inside the tank. Tape may work or it may split the fittings.
I only use tape on threaded parts that are hand tight and have to be taken apart to be cleaned.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think even though its slip on slip in probably just not use cement on the durso and just use it on the t so if I need to adjust the height of the drain.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All slip pipe joints outside the tank to the sump are glued. Both the drains and returns. All threaded ones are sealed with thread compound for plastic. Don't glue any joints inside the tank. Tape may work or it may split the fittings.
I only use tape on threaded parts that are hand tight and have to be taken apart to be cleaned.
Here's the drain pipe. It's a 1 inch going into a 1 and a half repair coupling so I can adjust the height. And the t and the elbow are also 1.5 inch. I know the top is open. I didn't put the cap on.the one inch pvc isn't attached yet.
FB_IMG_1623114177520.jpg

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a slip or threaded bulkhead?

If its threaded, just add some tape and twist it in. If its a slip one, add a small bead of silicone if you want to create a water tight seal and still be able to remove it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back