OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're telling me. My dog could care less about the tank. All she wants is some seaweed when I'm getting the rocks ready for the fish.
My dog also like the seaweed snacks lol. When I had first started my saltwater hobby again, he also enjoyed a diamond goby fish chip who had wanted to fly :D

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do make different strengths of door/window screen including ones they describe as 'pet' screen which is much thicker then regular screen.

That said, if this is all for the cats benefit I would definitely rethink the approach. If there is top on the tank the cat can stand on, they probably will stand on it. In this case, the tank lid.

It would be better if there is no lid AND the cat is also able to satisfy their curiosity about the tank without perching on the rim. Think about putting a shelf attached to the wall near the tank. You can make this yourself or buy one of the cat perches that attach to a wall off of etsy.

My wife has 3 cats, so I have to come up with tank appropriate situations for all 3. Most of my tanks are freshwater and 2 of the three cats like to drink the water. One of them gave a try at drinking water from my saltwater tank and quickly realized that was not something it wanted to do. 2 of my freshwater tanks have perches or locations the cats can stand on nearby. One does not and we had to move a cat tree closer so one of our cats (the saltwater drinker) would stop doing exactly what your cat is doing in your picture.

6vvJXlX.jpg

OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She looks a lot like my Oshibi... Where in the world did she get that outrageous moustache? haha Almost looks like a piece of black tape on her face!!
They do make different strengths of door/window screen including ones they describe as 'pet' screen which is much thicker then regular screen.

That said, if this is all for the cats benefit I would definitely rethink the approach. If there is top on the tank the cat can stand on, they probably will stand on it. In this case, the tank lid.

It would be better if there is no lid AND the cat is also able to satisfy their curiosity about the tank without perching on the rim. Think about putting a shelf attached to the wall near the tank. You can make this yourself or buy one of the cat perches that attach to a wall off of etsy.

My wife has 3 cats, so I have to come up with tank appropriate situations for all 3. Most of my tanks are freshwater and 2 of the three cats like to drink the water. One of them gave a try at drinking water from my saltwater tank and quickly realized that was not something it wanted to do. 2 of my freshwater tanks have perches or locations the cats can stand on nearby. One does not and we had to move a cat tree closer so one of our cats (the saltwater drinker) would stop doing exactly what your cat is doing in your picture.

6vvJXlX.jpg
@Jedi1199 she was born with it! I have an Instagram for her because of it’s silliness. I found her as a newborn by the side of my house with her siblings and feral mom.

@minorhero I am getting an eel so a lid is a for sure thing! I made caves out of pvc and siliconed dry reef rock rubble to hide it. I’m going to make a lid out of polycarbonate—I ended up buying both types—and borrow a par meter from my lfs to see how much is affected by either type of pc.
I’ll try and see if it’s still capable of growing sps with what spectrum shines through by testing out different heights to place my lights. I’ll try and keep detailed notes on it and make another build thread for this tank once I have more info.
If it ends up not working, I’ll just have to cut holes to add mesh to it eventually. The polycarbonate sheets get here this weekend!

OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the poly in your top picture for over 6 months on my mixed reef tank. The par is affected but not by that much that concerns me. So far I have no algae growing on the lids. I am running 2 hydra 26’s a Kessil AP700 amd a 4 bulb Aquatic life hybrid. As much as o would like the screen these lids serve their purpose of keeping my fish in the tank.

AC138467-7BFF-4285-A866-0C067B1EA478.png 87237904-60A1-4159-A9D8-0EF419F71A85.jpeg
How often to you clean the lids? Love it ♥️

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s hilarious! I’m studying Japanese for fun, where’d you learn that slang? Lol
Also, she’s adorable.
Lol got it from a book I read a few years ago... There was a character named Oshobi, (Big Cat).. Oshibi was a dig on him.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 153 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back