DIY Filter Socks

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want too buy this fabric. Pixel can you post a like where you bought yours from . Or pn me cause we just started using the 4" circle socks. And there a bit expensive cause we never reuse socks at all we been using the eshopps 4" rectangle ones and there about 8-11$ea so maybe a thousand dollars*+ from when we started the hobby just on socks .

Awesome info this should be a sticky on the DIY THREAD thanks a million.

"""""Now gotta buy me a sewing me chine :)""""

Stemick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought them at the same place at Jo Anns Fabric. There was a pic of the bar code and fabric info in an earlier post thats what I went off of and found the exact same thing.

Reefdad68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick way to make rings is use 1/2" RO tubing and a 2-3" section of silicone tubing to connect...works great.... Started making filters after seeing this post...highly recommend Thank you for posting

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Stemick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on what this filter down too. It will take cloudiness out of a tank. When I took out all of my rock the other day to take catch my RBTA the tank got really cloudy from stirring up detritus. So I zip tied one to the of he syphon tube and put it in a 5 gal bucket and put a pump in the bucket to pump the filtered water back into the tank. In the past it token over half a day to start to clearing up. But with that method it cleared it up in about 20 min.

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try making some thanks for the information

Timidfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I toss them into a washer with just bleach water and run them through that. Really easy and they have held up for 3 or 4 washes now.

mudbucket72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick with pure white as the colors could leach into your water and how many meters would depend on how many you want to make 1 meter should be more then enough to make 2 socks

Purpule Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,pure white filter wool is ok for making filter socks?
It is in 3 size:
25 cm in 25 cm
50 cm in 25 cm
and 50 in 50 cm which is ok?how many needs for 4 quantity filter socks.
please soon reply me because I want order.:bigsmile:

OP
OP
8pixel

8pixel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,pure white filter wool is ok for making filter socks?
It is in 3 size:
25 cm in 25 cm
50 cm in 25 cm
and 50 in 50 cm which is ok?how many needs for 4 quantity filter socks.
please soon reply me because I want order.:bigsmile:

The socks I make are around 30.5 x 33 cm each so you can figure out based on that.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! This will save some trouble and money. Everything has to be custom made with my pico tank.

I'll be making some of these in the next day or two. This should work out better than the media bag and filterfloss that I have been using when I clean and do water changes. It tends to block up a bit when I have a lot of algae to deal with in my tiny tank (this semester was brutal and I missed several water changes).

It will give me some practice with my machine before I attack the curtain project.

Any tips on making square socks that will stand up on their own? They only need to be four or five inches tall.
I was thinking about folding the top edge over a few times to give more rigidity and stitching the edges of the box shape (if that makes sense) to help hold the shape so it will stand up under the lines that go into the sump. The sock will extend above the drain lines, so it won't tip over or get pushed around the sump.
Also considering a k'nex as a frame if it won't hold its shape on its own.

Back