DIY Flow setup 75GL with Ecotech Vectra S2 - Help!

FullReefSurvivalMode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t worry about my current setup, it needs a heavy update, everything is working fine but the power heads and return pump is leaking electricity so i bought an Ecotech Vectra S1 for my 75 gallon mixed reef, which should be sufficient running at 70-80 .

Eventually i will update sump and DT, but for now i wanna DIY Mcgiver this shallow long.

My question to all of you good Reef folks, i wish to run the different flow modes, that the pump offers, (see my DIY pic enclosed.) I know it has nothing to do with the termination ”closed loop” but i have modified the template Ecotech supplyed on their web. Could i run the setup shown, by drilling sump, drilling DT and mounting 2 x RFG (random flow generator - nozzles) to create sufficient flow in akvarium. There’s an overflow in the left corner which runs into a filter sock in sump.

Could it work? Ideas?

Ps. Ecotech claims the flow modes will only work with "closed loop", but "my loop" has constant access to water? Sooooooo, would it work (i know its not the safest setup;Doctor)

fish tank vectra.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 11.58.01.png

Last edited:

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly can your drain handle the added flow from the additional pump? If you add this new pump in addition to your primary return pump it is possible the pumps could pump more than the drains can handle.

Secondly how are you silencing your drains? If you are using a valved drain in a Herbie or Bean animal set up you will get excessive noise as the flow through the pump changes. If you are using a Durso or some other kind of muffler it won't be as big of an issue.

Upvote 0
Back