OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't take the credit. My DIY applications are spawned from the work of others. In this case, @jlanger and @bmac16 gave me the inspiration to build my little cave for my guy. I'm happy my guy inhabited the cave....that was my concern. But thanks @dbl

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Where did you get the shell for this?

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not me! Although I've seen them for sale at my LFS. Otherwise, send bmac16 a PM (Start a New Conversation).

If that doesn't work, try HERE.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typed in Barnacles and got a whole list....but nothing less expensive than the link I posted above...which includes free shipping for me!

Last edited:
OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He came out!

Sorry for the poor quality...under moonlights, slow shutter speed and hand held. He took about 8 to 10 mouth fulls of sand and then darted back into his home. I'm happy.

steveaus10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great ideas thanks all of my rock is on glass bottom l may build a cave when I replace my diamond he jumped out awhile back before I got cover built for my tank canary blenny did too he wound up in sump though guess he got lucky and landed in overflow he got a trip all the way to my sump in basement

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I’m thinking about doing something similar to this before I move into my 60 gallon from my biocube. The DG my son picked out had the biggest pile of sand at the lfs. He seems to be excessively preoccupied with digging and moving sand. My thought was to build an entire sturcture inter the rocks with 3-4 openings. He seems to enjoy having multiple routes of escape and rearranging his home. An entrance one day will be totally full of sand the next day. I was also thinking about doing clear pvc so that if he does uncover a portion, it’s not as easily visible. I thought it might be helpful for him to see that he’s surrounded by sand too. I was going to put sand in the pipes for him to excavate as well.

I love how you disguised the entrance. I hadn’t thought of that.

Did the pvc end up working long term for you? And would you suggest anything else? Thanks!

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh...I have a nomadic diamond goby...He had caves everywhere...

Lol... literally he has a cave under every rock with multiple escape routes. I am super happy that the rocks are on the bottom and I sat them in positions where they would stand without assistance, otherwise it would be game over by how much excavating mine likes to do.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you attach the barnacles to the pvc?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I’m also considering doing the PVC/rubble pile thing! @bmac16 ’s cave looks epic!

Do they prefer something underneath the sand? Or will a rubble cave suffice?

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back, I built a cave from small pieces of rubble rock for a jawfish.
I glued the pieces of rock together and then added some sand to the areas where I could see the glue. After the glue cured, I added the cave to the tank and the jawfish went right inside. After time, the rocks were covered with algae and such to blend in with the existing rock work; much better than a pic pipe.

I now use the cave for a pair of gobies.

Love that idea. Will try for my jawfish

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I’m also considering doing the PVC/rubble pile thing! @bmac16 ’s cave looks epic!

Do they prefer something underneath the sand? Or will a rubble cave suffice?
I did this and I loved the look, unfortunately, my goby always uncovers the side of pvc pipe. My anthias and chalk bass love using it as a passage way, but I don’t think I’ll do it again. I get asked so much about the pipe and I thought I had it well camouflaged.

I’m working on a new scape now, and I just created passages using rubble and low overhangs instead of the pvc.

Back