DIY industrail steel pipe stand...will it work?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK guys I am thinking about setting up a another project tank next to or near my SCA 90
it will be a classic 40br. 36x18x16
I want this stand to be around 24"-30" tall so lower than my main DT as I think the off set would look nice.

I was thinking about DIY plywood but I know I will be moving some time in the next cpl years. so I was thinking modular easily transportable but look cool.
I do like the look of the industrial steel pipe and could even make some end table to match.

so my question are:
that should be more than strong to hold up a 40br as the metal stand I have from amazon/petco is not near the strength. correct

what ID size of tubing should I use .5"-1" I am guessing the bigger you go the stronger they are correct?

I would use flanges on all legs top and bottom. see any problem with this?

for the top I will use 3/4 to 1" plywood or other thick wood to go with the industrial look.

would I need center bracing via Tees along the sides? i was thinking I could just go with 4 legs then one in the middle back or middle of stand.

I did a search and I am surprised no one has done this.
feedback thoughts very much welcome.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: missed the industrial pipe part of your post. Think I know the look you’re going for.I’d go One inch and make sure it’s galvanized. Two cross members. And would weld in some weld nuts and ball and socket leveling feet for each vertical stancheon if possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not worried about salt creep as this is for a FW planted tank :D
1/2" sounds good.
threaded weld nuts for leveling sounds like a perfect idea, see that's why I ask. but I do like the look of the flanges more weight distribution with a bigger foot print yes? also keeps the industrial look going. do they even make then in 1/2" or would I need a reducers and what not?

how high should the center brace be? I dont think I will be using a sump on this build but would love to have the opportunity down the rd.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is the look I am going for.
d5c976f92b59b32b921e6db6ae5434d5.jpg

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would the center brace add more stability or 2 more legs in the middle be better?
You’ll want the center brace(s) for support. Assuming your stand won’t be skinned then?
In that case( just personally what I would do and just an opinion) but if the stand will be a standout feature of your build I would flare it up even more. A buddy of mine used to fabricate some ****** looking industrial style furniture. Non functional/ purely decor type additions like non functioning patina wheel valves etc. Attached is a picture of the concept. Just a thought.

91CAE793-CD24-4D47-A56B-0DC8C721E0C7.jpeg

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shores805 OMG I love that!!
what are the light looking things blowing glass? man I love that. got more of his work?
yes the stand will be open and will display the Co2 reactor and canister filter but would love to have the option to add a sump if go decided to set up another SW tank.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back