diy iron and manganese supplement

Swip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good way to dose iron and manganese?
Since the commercial iron and manganese supplements don't state how much is actually in them, I'd like to make a diy one.

We test our water twice a month and found that our gonioporas do much better if our iron and manganese levels are measureable(Triton). We've got around 600 gonio frags in our system and it's quite noticable on the polyp expansion and overall health of the corals.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good way to dose iron and manganese?
Since the commercial iron and manganese supplements don't state how much is actually in them, I'd like to make a diy one.

We test our water twice a month and found that our gonioporas do much better if our iron and manganese levels are measureable(Triton). We've got around 600 gonio frags in our system and it's quite noticable on the polyp expansion and overall health of the corals.

As folks have suggested, Fergon tablets (ferrous gluconate) are a good DIY for iron.

Do you have access to chemical to buy manganese salts?

OP
OP
S

Swip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would Manganese(II) chloride tetrahydrate be alright?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that would be a good choice. Note that it will potentially lower ORP when added, and the stock solution you make by dissolving it in fresh water will be sensitive to O2 (which can cause oxidation and subsequent precipitation of MnO2), so keep it tightly closed.

OP
OP
S

Swip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thanks as always Randy!

Do you know of any studies on manganese in a reef tank? I'm not sure how much/often to dose yet.
Do you think the manganese gets depleted because the corals actually use most of it, or does most of it get skimmed out/adsorbed/precipitates?

Mn on our Triton tests was never above 10µg/L so I don't know if I should rise it above that. Are there any known problems with elevated Mn levels?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO raising it to natural levels of 0.1 to 0.2 ppb is fine. Above that is experimentation. It might be useful above that, but I do not know.

It likely gets depleted by precipitation as MnO2 and by uptake by photosynthesizing organisms.

Triton can barely detect this natural level, so it can be hard to know if it is depleted or not. If you detect any, it likely is not depleted relative to NSW.

vm70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO raising it to natural levels of 0.1 to 0.2 ppb is fine. Above that is experimentation. It might be useful above that, but I do not know.

It likely gets depleted by precipitation as MnO2 and by uptake by photosynthesizing organisms.

Triton can barely detect this natural level, so it can be hard to know if it is depleted or not. If you detect any, it likely is not depleted relative to NSW.

I am also interested in supplementing Mn + Mo, as I use a large refugium + Algae Scrubber, and latest Triton tests revealed significant depletion. I'm looking for a cheaper substitute for Triton elements.
Hence two questions:
1. Assuming I use the above-mentioned "Manganese(II) chloride tetrahydrate", how should I prepare the solution, and how much should I use for increasing Mn by say 0.1 ppb in an 100 gal tank?
2. Any good links/advices for Molybdenum chemicals, preparation and dosing?

Thanks in advance,

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manganese(II) chloride tetrahydrate is 28% manganese by weight.

Here's a recipe:

Dissolve 1 gram in 100o mL (grams) fresh water. Manganese = 280 ppm.

Take 1 mL (1 g) of that mix and dissolve in 1000 mL of fresh water. Mn = 0.28 ppm (=280 ug/L).

Add 1 mL of that to 100 mL of fresh water. Mn = 2.8 ug/L

Add 13.5 mL of that to 100 gallons of tank water. Conc boost to tank = 0.1 ug/L Mn. :)

vm70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's a recipe:

Take 1 mL (1 g) of that mix and dissolve in 1000 mL of fresh water. Mn = 0.28 ppm (=280 ug/L).

Add 13.5 mL of that to 100 gallons of tank water. Conc boost to tank = 0.1 ug/L Mn. :)

Randy,
Thank you very much for the clear and detailed explanation!

vm70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some sodium molydbate available online, but I do not know the quality of most available to DIY'ers.
The quality is not an issue, as I can get locally pharmaceutical quality chemicals. However, the price is, due to the fact I can only buy them by the pound. Still not extremely expensive, but it's a real waste, probably 80% of it will lie unused forever :(

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's a recipe:

After the .1ppb Manganese is added, how long do you think it would take for it to become depleted or how often should it be added?

Thanks
Randy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back