DIY kessil mount screw size indifference

Sebae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm trying to mount 3 Kessil a360WE off the back wall behind my tank to use as a little extra light. I found some camera mounts that would work perfectly but the screw size is just slightly bigger than the hole in the Kessils. Does anyone know of a simple fix here or have any recommendations?

Thanks!

kessil mount.JPG

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd likely have to get something custom made, but a threaded reducer would be your best bet, the larger thread would thread into the fitting, and then it would have male threads the size that would thread into the kessil.
Otherwise drilling and retapping the kessil is another option, but not one that I would recommend trying.

U

User1

View Badges
I agree with the Glitter Fair above. Don't try and retap. I have a couple a360x's and ran into the same issue trying to find the right thread count with little to no luck. I even mailed Kessil and didn't get a proper response which was odd because I just expected them to say X.

Thread reducer is a interesting option there @Crabs McJones . You could take the existing bolt that is in the unit, take it to a hardware store, and use the thread size tool they have there to get the size and match. Then shop around for the reducer either in the store or online.

Best of luck!

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks guys, I'll take it to a hardware store and see what I can find. If it works I'll let ya know.

Also if you have time today or tomorrow I seem to recall a thread I found whereas someone found a mounting arm to work natively with the Kessils. May be the a360x's though - not sure if the bolt pattern is the same although I bet it is.

I apologize because I thought I had it bookmarked for a reference but it appears I do not. I'm a dummy :). I have been in a similar boat wanted to be able to adjust angles with the kessil's. In any case best of luck and hope you have an amazing day!

U

User1

View Badges
I did see this today. Looks like BRS has something using the outer screws and not the center. This may be an option although I do not have the light you are trying to work with.

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The center screw on my A360s are 10-32 threads

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common mounting for tripod bases is a 1/4-20, so if the Kessil is 10-32, this would work:

You can get it in 316 Stainless as well as aluminum, but they had a lead time of a few weeks. You're not likely to find this in an average big box store.

316 part: https://www.mcmaster.com/91155a213

OP
OP
S

Sebae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the McMaster-Carr route and the adapters worked perfectly. The kessils are now mounted just how I wanted them.

But.... after about 30 seconds to 1 min after being on they will go out. Sometimes they all go out at once; sometimes one, then another, then another.

I also have an ATI powermodule with 1 LED node almost always flickering.

I spoke to ATI and couldn't seem to figure out what was going on.

I am wondering if this might be a voltage issue? I have tried different plugs around the house and the same issue happens.

Anyone have experience with something like this or any suggestions?

Thanks!

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For anyone still searching, M6 is too large, 1/4 is too large, but 10/32 fit the A360X middle hole just fine. I haven’t tested M5 but that could work too. The threads are close...

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever figure out the flicker issue?
If not or for others who may experience...
It is possible thati when you mounted the arm in the wall you screwed slightly into or against the 12 or 14g power wires in the wall which are stapled on the sides of the studs you most likely scored into. If it's a 14g up to lights you wouldnt have gotten shocked if the lights were off. (Power source most likely outlet 18 to 24" off floor.)
First get an electrical test pen and turn on all lights & fan etc.. switches & touch all around tthe screw heads to hear for beeps. Try backing one screw out at a time if enough left to still hold and wait to see if flicker ceases.

OP
OP
S

Sebae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was screwing the screws in too far and that prevented the Kessil fan from running. Loosening the screws solved the issue.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was screwing the screws in too far and that prevented the Kessil fan from running. Loosening the screws solved the issue.
That's really good to know actually. Alot of people could bennefit from that.
*thinks of any possible threads I could have(probaly) not updated.

AIRDADDY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the best way i found to mount kessils in a canopy or what not is also cheap. Parker's Reef did a video on it. Use loc line... works on any kessil really well. Ebay has the loc line parts.

This is amazing It’s so versatile, simple, and affordable. Thanks for sharing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back