DIY legs for tek Lights

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my 50G show set up I ordered 36" tek lights for a 30" tank in plans of using the lights in the future for a 75g tank. here is the process of me making legs for the fixture.

Materials:
5: 5/8" x 4" x 4" acrylic
2: 1/4" x 4" x 4" acrylic
2: .1" x 12 x 4 acrylic
5oz tube of Weld-on 16

Step 1:

Measure the height and width of the lip of the tank. Mine was 1/4" high and 1/2" wide.

Step 2:

Measure and cut all pieces of acrylic to the desired lengths. I will be using the 5/8" acrylic as the main support and the 1/4" acrylic as the hooks for the lip.

The acrylic with the paper cover is going to be cut into 16 1" x 1" pieces and used to add additional support to where the legs attach to the .1" thick acrylic sheet. The pieces with the blue cover will be used to help stop the bending of the .1" acrylic.

Step 3:

Don't break the dremel. Fortunately, I was able to open it up and tinker around with it to fix it.

Step 4:
With the dremel fixed, continue cutting the acrylic.

Steps 5 and 6:

Weld the main leg brace to the 1/4" acrylic you just cut. Allow the weld to set and dry. Weld the 1" x 1/2" x 1/4" acrylic onto the 1/4" acrylic lip.

The 4 pieces shown in steps 5 and 6 will sit on the lip of the tank. There will be two on each side of the fixture.
DSC01103.jpg

DSC01109.jpg

DSC01110.jpg

DSC01112.jpg

I think doing this is a great option for those who want to put tek lights on legs but don't want to dish ou big bucks for the metal legs.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 28.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back