DIY Lid Netting

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to build myself a quick and dirty screen type lid until my custom one comes. Was thinking of using window screen mesh or will that not let enough light through?

If not, what do you recommend ?

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to build myself a quick and dirty screen type lid until my custom one comes. Was thinking of using window screen mesh or will that not let enough light through?

If not, what do you recommend ?

Bird netting. I dont know how long you are going to use it for but the window screen let's very little light though. If you want to go with a quick way. You can one of these.
Screenshot_20191015-143559_Samsung Internet.jpg

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! I’ll pick that up on the way home! Is that ridged? Or does it need to be secured to some wood ?

Ridged. No wood needed and when you are done keep it. People use that stuff for so many things. I saw a guy who made a huge frag rack with it. Some people make a tiny box and put chaeto in it. It is in the florescent lighting section. And you can break it where ever you need to get the sizing you want.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is used for lighting it is uv safe and can hold fish from jumping out it. Anything besides a custom top is going to block light. He is getting a custom top and wants something for now.

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use the egg crate on mine with LED's,
gives the tank an odd strobe look. i ended up cutting the center out right under the fixture. Made it much better. I will end up going with netting at some point. I'm sure with t5's the strobe wont be nearly as bad,
also watch out for fish size, that egg crate is 1/2", i've had at least one goby and 2 snails go through it.

jelee01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny. I used the exact same egg crate sheet at first till my custom lid arrived. It does block some light though. Eg spread.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have egg crate on the 240 and Lowes sells window screen kits you can cut to any size and extra corners so I made 2 tops for the 75 with one kit and a bag of extra corners. I used 1/4 inch netting from BRS.

Egg crate will not keep in small fish determined to jump. I learned that the hard way.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I am gonna do. I am going to use window screen just at night. Then during the day I’ll risk it, the wife is always around and i have never had a clown jump and never had a lid in any of my tanks. Yes I know there is a first time for everything . I’ll just use the screen and some clips at night and not put any renound jumpers in until I have the permanent soloution!

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I am gonna do. I am going to use window screen just at night. Then during the day I’ll risk it, the wife is always around and i have never had a clown jump and never had a lid in any of my tanks. Yes I know there is a first time for everything . I’ll just use the screen and some clips at night and not put any renound jumpers in until I have the permanent soloution!

what fish do you have in there now and what size tank?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use window screen material on my QT tank and it blocks less light that one might think. It’d be fine as a temporary screen - just make sure to use the plastic screen material not the aluminum stuff.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back