DIY Live Blackworms, Copepods, Rotties Etc

wom001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for those with experience in culturing their own fish foods. Been really thinking about setting up something like this as I start my fallow period for when my fish go through QT. My stocking list contains some finicky folks like CBB, Wrasses, and other beautiful fish that have delicate pallets. Wanted to see what kind of set up people have and ways to keep it going long term.

Thanks!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black worms takes some effort. @Paul B has done this for quite a while. He also turned me on to white worms. They are insanely easy to culture. You just need a plastic bin, some dirt, worms and bread.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've cultivated White worms before and it's incredibly easy, not much to do except make sure the soil is damp and add bread every so often. I used a Tupperware with about 2 -3 inches of moist dirt. The hardest part for me was separating the worms from the dirt. What I eventually did was put a plastic lid from a jar over the bread and the worms would stick to the lid when eating the bread and I could then just scrape them off.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a few methods of collecting them. The one that works the best so far is to just scrape them off the top of the bread when it starts to get low.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried to cultivate blackworms before. i gave up because i didn’t have enough time. paul’s instructions did help. but wow...... such a pain.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White worms easy to raise. Black worms not so easy.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the white worms. They are easy to culture. I feed mine spirulina flake food. I use a couple different methods for collection as rinsing them out of the soil is not very easy. Currently I am using a plastic lid with food in it and some plastic knitting sheet with food on it which has made worm collection very easy.

OP
OP
wom001

wom001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well im looking for a live food to get some finicky eaters like CBB and possibly some wrasses. Will CBB in particular go after white worms? I know the pounce on BWs.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well im looking for a live food to get some finicky eaters like CBB and possibly some wrasses. Will CBB in particular go after white worms? I know the pounce on BWs.
They will eat both as well as live baby brine ( you would need a ton) and chopped fresh clams. The issue you might have, they are a timid fish. They require a lot of swimming room. If you have a 6 foot tank of 100 + gallons you should be ok as long as you dont have other fish harassing them.
Paul B's worm farm at end of post
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/copperband-success-and-failures.90125/

Last edited:
OP
OP
wom001

wom001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv got a 280 going up. I was planning on getting him sooner rather than later since I know how shy they can be.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back