DIY Live rock with tile grout - will it cause a silicate problem?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Podle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Podle

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 29, 2014
Messages
18
Reaction score
6
Location
Norway
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am planning a new tank, upgrading from a RSM 130 to a 720 ltr (180 gal) + sump & fuge. :smile:

I want to build a few specific shapes of DIY live rock and also cover the overflow etc with live DIY rocks.
My problem is that I really want the rocks to look as natural as possible, and i want them more white than dull cement grey (even if this will become more natural looking over time), but i cant find pure white portland cement anywhere here in Norway! :cry:
The closest thing i have managed to find is a tile grout from a manufacturer called Hey'di.
From the MSDS i found online it looks to be made of white portland cement, dolomite and silicic acid. [FONT=Nobile, Arial, san-serif]

Do you think that the silicic acid can disolve into the water and cause a silicate issue, or will it remain in a safe, solid state?


[/FONT]
 
#reefsquad

I don't know but lets see if we can't get you some advise...

#reefsquad
 
No worries.... I managed to find a local supplyer that could provide white portland :)Thanx for trying to help! :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new