DIY Nem Guard for Jaebo.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been able to source a proper nem guard for my Jaebo powerhead, and am wondering if anyone has found one that works, or has a not hideous DIY solution? I've seen far too many posts about nems getting chopped up.

I considered nylons, but have been told they'll clog and require frequent cleaning. Currently using an aquaclear sponge I cut to fit around the powerhead. Though I found it restricts the flow of water substantially and looks ugly as heck.

I've seen some people make an eggcrate box around powerheads, which would work, if I could ever find eggcrate, not that I am sure of how to secure it to the powerhead.

What do y'all use for nem guards?

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hobbylobby has some plastic mesh sheets. I just cut a strip off to go around the outside of my pump and zip tied it in. It doesn't look amazing, but I also didn't try to make it look ok. I took it off after 3 weeks since my nem never moved. It worked well, the holes were plenty big not to get clogged, but small enough even if the nem got onto it that it could not get sucked it.

Mesh Sheets

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 62 54.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.0%
Back