Using filter floss to craft a nem guard?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I would like to diy an anemone guard on my sicce voyager nano 2000, but am having difficulty coming up with the best option to do so. I’ve been looking at models to 3D print myself, but none look as though they would fit properly. I’d model a guard myself, but don’t entirely trust my own craftsmanship to create a foolproof guard. In fact, I’ve been reading a lot about mesh and 3D printed covers not truly preventing anemones from being shredded up. I’ve seen some examples of anemone guards being crafted out of sponge or foam, simply tie wrapped around the powerhead. Can this be done, or would it hamper the functionality of the powerhead and potentially break it?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run some vortech powerheads. They come with a sponge cover / guard. The brief period I did run with the sponges on I found they were clogging up way to often for my liking. I imagine filter floss would clog even faster. I just couldn't see myself cleaning them every day or two so I removed them and found some plastic guards on ebay. I don't see any for your unit online. Maybe some plastic mesh or 1/4 plastic screen like that used on acrylic covers could be used along with some small zip ties to fabricate something?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread and you're probably past this but:

iSeaLive has 3d-printed anemone guards for Nero 3/5 and lets you just download the 3d file for free if you want to print yourself (or at least used to).

I've been running one on Nero 5 for about a year and am happy with it -- you just can't point/aim the powerhead with the 'nem guard installed.

I'd post a link but think that's probably not allowed.
*his YouTube videos showing design and print process for different projects are pretty cool too

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever come up with a proper guard solution for your Sicce voyager nano?
Hello,
I would like to diy an anemone guard on my sicce voyager nano 2000, but am having difficulty coming up with the best option to do so. I’ve been looking at models to 3D print myself, but none look as though they would fit properly. I’d model a guard myself, but don’t entirely trust my own craftsmanship to create a foolproof guard. In fact, I’ve been reading a lot about mesh and 3D printed covers not truly preventing anemones from being shredded up. I’ve seen some examples of anemone guards being crafted out of sponge or foam, simply tie wrapped around the powerhead. Can this be done, or would it hamper the functionality of the powerhead and potentially break it?

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used craft mesh and zip ties of my Sicce and it works great. Just make you you make it so you can pull it off to clean the mesh as it will get dirty.

This is more or less what I used in black:

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used craft mesh and zip ties of my Sicce and it works great. Just make you you make it so you can pull it off to clean the mesh as it will get dirty.

This is more or less what I used but in black:
Can you please post a picture of what yours looks like?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wound up 3D printing one:
1670177591770.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back