DIY Pod Condos

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

I have a lot of this lying around from building an RC airplane out of it and aluminum L channel. :) I'll have to put it to good use.

Brandon

Zephrant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the time of this writing, the term "Pod Hotel" has a pending trademark application by SB Reef lights: https://www.trademarks411.com/marks/87700079-pod-hotel. Additionally, I’ve been told by the filer that “Pod Condo”. Or anything similar will infringe on that Trademark.

Additionally, SB Reef claims they have a patent on the idea of a pod hotel/condo, but I’ve seen no evidence of a patent yet, all searches come up empty. If they did apply, it would likely take 3-5 years to issue, and there would be a chance to claim “prior art”.

I received a C&D letter from Mike at SBReefs asking me to stop selling my Pod Condo, or face legal repercussions. He has since repeated that threat twice, in writing, so he may be serious. My legal counsel claims that I’m on solid ground, so I’m continuing to sell my design.

I wanted to give you a heads up though. If the patent is granted, it may be a violation to make these, even at home as a DIY, and the use of “Pod Hotel” may infringe the Trademark application.

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the time of this writing, the term "Pod Hotel" has a pending trademark application by SB Reef lights: https://www.trademarks411.com/marks/87700079-pod-hotel. Additionally, I’ve been told by the filer that “Pod Condo”. Or anything similar will infringe on that Trademark.

Additionally, SB Reef claims they have a patent on the idea of a pod hotel/condo, but I’ve seen no evidence of a patent yet, all searches come up empty. If they did apply, it would likely take 3-5 years to issue, and there would be a chance to claim “prior art”.

I received a C&D letter from Mike at SBReefs asking me to stop selling my Pod Condo, or face legal repercussions. He has since repeated that threat twice, in writing, so he may be serious. My legal counsel claims that I’m on solid ground, so I’m continuing to sell my design.

I wanted to give you a heads up though. If the patent is granted, it may be a violation to make these, even at home as a DIY, and the use of “Pod Hotel” may infringe the Trademark application.

How about "Pod Trailer Park"? In no way does that reference a condo or hotel.

dotporter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is shady. He trademarked well after all of this, and, if opposed, may not even have a legal claim to the trademark .. He didn't register till two months After asking you to stop using the name. Since he asked you to stop Selling products... it seems that you have clear rights to the term. He doesn't.

Common-Law Trademark Rights

• If you are the first to use a phrase to market your business, you already have legal "common-law rights" to the phrase.
  • There is no registration or application to get common-law rights. If you are the only one using your phrase and you use it often and openly, you already have common-law rights.
(edit: his trademark also clearly states that he claims no rights to the word "pod" in reference to anything other than the "pod hotel" but, if they want to keep up.. you can always file to have his trademark removed. https://www.uspto.gov/about-us/organizational-offices/trademark-trial-and-appeal-board)

Last edited:

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is Just stupid Money grab. trademark and Patent laws are way out of Control...

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pickupmann66 have you noticed or heard of anything leeching into the water column from the sign board?
I have asked this & learned it won't leach anything. Been using the stuff of years in tank . all is fine .
As for a copy right ? Good luck collecting all the diys over the years I made several Over the years Try 20 years? it's mine by common law ! I want my money ! LOL!

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have asked this & learned it won't leach anything. Been using the stuff of years in tank . all is fine .
As for a copy right ? Good luck collecting all the diys over the years I made several Over the years Try 20 years? it's mine by common law ! I want my money ! LOL!

I refuse to pay you and if you wanna come try and take them from my sump i will charge you for Years of Testing, Research and experimentation efforts to better the design of your Product..... Yea Take that.. Giggles

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back