DIY protein skimmer idea

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was watching a video by DIY Fish Keeper and I thought for the hell of it I'd try to make a protein skimmer (I had most of the parts collecting dust in my garage). Does this look like it would work?

I added the elbow piece on the side which you can see some bubbles coming out because I figured the water needed a place to go after rising up from the bottom.

Also don't mind the algae... I'm in the process of getting right of my refugium heh.

Last edited:

Gator1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you're getting some good foaming at the very least! You using an air stone, or needle wheel/Venturi pump?

Gator1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an air pump and a wooden air diffuser.
Really cool! It looks very effective - are you using a valve to dial in the bubble production? I guess since it's in your sump, you don't need a pump for water circulation - the bubbles draw water in form the bottom, which eventually makes it out the elbow fitting?

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool! It looks very effective - are you using a valve to dial in the bubble production? I guess since it's in your sump, you don't need a pump for water circulation - the bubbles draw water in form the bottom, which eventually makes it out the elbow fitting?

I do have a gang valve which I could add to bleed off air pressure to control bubble production. Good idea actually, thanks!

Bubbles and water flow upward, water goes out the elbow and bubbles collect at the top.

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if there is a light brownish color water collecting in the cup is that skimmate? I dumped it out before thinking but I'll try to take a pic next time I see.

Gator1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if there is a light brownish color water collecting in the cup is that skimmate? I dumped it out before thinking but I'll try to take a pic next time I see.

I would say it's probably skimmate- if you dial back the bubbles a little, you might get a darker, more concentrated skimmate.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its skimmate. Not sure how big of a tank it will work for but its a diy skimmer : ) If your water doesn't fluctuate then it will consistently produce. The most efficient skimmers are air stone driven.

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its skimmate. Not sure how big of a tank it will work for but its a diy skimmer : ) If your water doesn't fluctuate then it will consistently produce. The most efficient skimmers are air stone driven.

It's a 29g w/ a 10g sump. The skimmer is located in the 'middle' chamber so the water level will never change. :)

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then your good to go, only maintenance will be dumping the skimmate and cleaning the air stone once and a while.

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... Skimmate? Also, out of morbid curiosity I smelled it and I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say it smelled like human urine. Like if I didn't know any better I would think someone "provided" as we like to say in the industry. Is that normal?

oHmCv2j.jpg

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its skimmate. If you move your skimmer up slightly (lowering the water level internally) it should build up a thicker foam head and get darker.

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... Skimmate? Also, out of morbid curiosity I smelled it and I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say it smelled like human urine. Like if I didn't know any better I would think someone "provided" as we like to say in the industry. Is that normal?

oHmCv2j.jpg

Yeah the stuff always stinks. Ive heard some people say it smells like patchouli?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back