DIY Refugium

MJ59HK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get people’s thoughts on my DIY refugium idea. I have the Aqua One ReefSys 326 system. I am thinking of converting the largest compartment in the sump into a refugium. This compartment is 26cm by 26cm with a water height of 30cm. This is where my media block is at the moment sitting upright. The media block will stay in the same compartment when the lights go in, but it will lay flat. This compartment is also upstream of the skimmer. I am planning to use 2-3mm thickness acrylic sheets assuming this is the about the same thickness as a LED strip so that the LED strip can seat touching the acrylic sheet to help with heat dissipation. I am thinking of using a black acrylic sheet as a backing to stop light going to other parts of the sump as much as possible and another clear acrylic sheet as the top layer. There will be a third acrylic (middle) layer sandwiched between the black backing and top clear layer, but the centre of the middle layer will be cut out so there is a void for me to put in however many LED strips I need. All three layers will be glued together using silicone sealant or resin or similar to make it watertight. I will have two of these units with each one put next to an internal side of the compartment and the LED strips will be shining light into the compartment. I think the cost of this would be $60 to $80. Please let me what you all think about my idea. Thanks in advance.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use acrylic solvent to make the light fixture(s) water tight. Silicone does not work properly for acrylic and will fall. #16 solvent is probably best for your application! Gl

Back