DIY rimless tank 75x75x45

Mitsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Reef2Reef members,

How hard is it to make my own tank? Ive seen alot of YouTube DIY video's of making a tank.
I want to buy some 12mm glass i think this should be enough. What you guy's think about it? It save €100 euro approx maybe more. Would u recommend it to try yourself i always see things like a project.

Kind Regards,

Mitch

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd consider it only if the dimensions are super custom or moving a manufactured tank infeasible (bigger than the doorway, etc). Stock sized glass tanks are incredibly cheap all things considered, its just not the worth the pain fixturing, plus it takes some skill to make clean looking seams which means by about the 10th tank you'll have something you really like :)

OP
OP
M

Mitsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd consider it only if the dimensions are super custom or moving a manufactured tank infeasible (bigger than the doorway, etc). Stock sized glass tanks are incredibly cheap all things considered, its just not the worth the pain fixturing, plus it takes some skill to make clean looking seams which means by about the 10th tank you'll have something you really like :)

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you saying i am quit handy, i wont say i dont mess it up xD for the first time. It seems so easy but if it was easy everybody would do it by himself i guess. I will think about it you are for 99%right but the 1% of me is thinking a whatever do it.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I DIY a lot of things except the tank. Structural strength of the tank is not something to experiment with, unless you have all the right know how, equipments/supplies and setup.

I also thing that In the long run, tank is the cheapest item in this hobby compared to everything else(lights, pumps, corals, fishes, ongoing salt consumption....).

Sam

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean cm or inch’s?
If you mean 75” x75”x45”
Then 12mm glass is way too small to use, My 72x30x24 tank is 19mm thick glass with a 26mm bottom panel And it still has a metal frame around the bottom of the tank.
Doing that size at fully rimless is asking for a flood

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a personal decision but for a hundred bucks/euros I am probably buying the tank. The dream tank I am looking at has a cost difference of around $6,000 between custom built and DIY, depending on final dimensions and material thickness.

I doubt I have the DIY skill to pull it off but we'll see. With any luck there will be some community members who are willing to lend a hand for some food and adult beverages. (and possibly some frags down the road! :D)

OP
OP
M

Mitsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean cm or inch’s?
If you mean 75” x75”x45”
Then 12mm glass is way too small to use, My 72x30x24 tank is 19mm thick glass with a 26mm bottom panel And it still has a metal frame around the bottom of the tank.
Doing that size at fully rimless is asking for a flood

Thanks for you reply! I asked 2 Aquarium tank builders they both offered me it in 12mm. But i will start smaller since it will be my first time i aim for 60x50x50 now.

OP
OP
M

Mitsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a personal decision but for a hundred bucks/euros I am probably buying the tank. The dream tank I am looking at has a cost difference of around $6,000 between custom built and DIY, depending on final dimensions and material thickness.

I doubt I have the DIY skill to pull it off but we'll see. With any luck there will be some community members who are willing to lend a hand for some food and adult beverages. (and possibly some frags down the road! :D)

Thanks for your reply!

Its something i want to experience myself haha. Probably i make a mistake but atleast i can say i tried it ;)

OP
OP
M

Mitsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyone that can help me out with the injection method ?

OP
OP
M

Mitsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would 10mm glass thickness be enough for a 60x50x50 rimless tank ? The calculators telling me a safety level of 8 with 10mm

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would 10mm glass thickness be enough for a 60x50x50 rimless tank ? The calculators telling me a safety level of 8 with 10mm
You’ve never answered if you are measuring in cm or in

makes a big difference

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I put together a 10 gallon sump using Fiji cube diy kit. I’m never doing it again. Will pay more for a premade sump or tank.

It depends on how much equipment you have and how experienced you are with stuff like this. Working with silicone is no fun.

OP
OP
M

Mitsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put together a 10 gallon sump using Fiji cube diy kit. I’m never doing it again. Will pay more for a premade sump or tank.

It depends on how much equipment you have and how experienced you are with stuff like this. Working with silicone is no fun.

Thanks for your reply. I have some experience.
What happend?

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for your reply. I have some experience.
What happend?
I got silicone everywhere. It looks ugly as I smeared silicone all over the place (even though I used a gun). To top it all, there is a leak I am fixing today.

I didn’t have the right equipment or the space to work on it.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 32 21.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 35 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 39 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back