DIY Rock Tutorial/Info Thread (Rocks, walls, floors, etc.)

FREAKINRICAN69

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Magnets bro just like the glass cleaner though some used silicon to glue it on the back and sides of the tank.Pic attached used silicon before cycling starts (still no light on the pic)

6DB6881B-7DCD-4C37-B991-11E3AF455042.jpeg
Those look awesome as well...

FREAKINRICAN69

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Joining a new forum is kinda like starting fresh for me, and I definitely love to contribute when I can. I've casually scanned the threads in this area and haven't seen much in the way of DIY rocks and rock projects.

Since making DIY rock is my business, I'd like to think of myself as somewhat well-knowing of the subject. I've definitely tried a whole lotta methods, ingredients, and have failed many, many times before I got to where I am today. I am constantly learning new things and am always open minded to new ideas.

Why am I doing this if this is my business? Truth be told making rock takes a lot of time (Major patience), learning, skill, sometimes luck, and more... if you want it done right. Most people (My clients' customers.. I am a wholesaler) would rather just buy the rock than make it themselves... and it makes sense for most people. Some people have an advantage of having certain equipment and/or background to make rock well and at a low cost... most others do not. Plus it ain't like I'll be giving ALL my secrets away! ;)

I am going to write a tutorial about rock making (Including rock walls, floors, etc.).. a process that will take time as I'd like to be as thorough as possible, not to mention get people's opinions/experiences. At the end I will combine all info into a longer, more complete post and I'll post a newer version as time goes by, should it be needed.

Each new post that I write will be like a chapter and my current outline will be the following:

1. Materials, ingredients, and tools
2. Recipes and casting material
3. Temperature requirements, mixing methods and requirements, water amounts, and hydration
4. "Curing"
5. "Kuring"
6. Results (In aquarium water)

I should also mention I will be talking strictly about DIY rocks... I have no training or experience in things like foam projects. Look forward to having the first chapter out by tomorrow night. Don't be shy to ask questions and/or post your experiences and opinions! :D
Looking forward to reading and following you. Please keep us posted.:)

artreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on the Star Destroyer tank

Attachments

• E9ABAA3A-1F36-4EA4-8739-41A66A54E824.mp4
    2.7 MB

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've been following the ratios and I did a little attempt at the rock. Came out a lot heavier than I expected though. Also I think my salt grains were too large as even before I soaked them away, pieces of rock started breaking off. Re: the weight, I'm thinking maybe I'll split the ratio of larger aggregate. Half coral bone and half Pumice. Worried about the whole leaching with pumice but I was thinking the amount wouldn't be so much and that the cement will kinda seal it. Any thoughts?

IMG-20191026-WA0035.jpeg IMG-20191026-WA0028.jpeg IMG-20191026-WA0033.jpeg IMG-20191026-WA0030.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I've been following the ratios and I did a little attempt at the rock. Came out a lot heavier than I expected though. Also I think my salt grains were too large as even before I soaked them away, pieces of rock started breaking off. Re: the weight, I'm thinking maybe I'll split the ratio of larger aggregate. Half coral bone and half Pumice. Worried about the whole leaching with pumice but I was thinking the amount wouldn't be so much and that the cement will kinda seal it. Any thoughts?

IMG-20191026-WA0035.jpeg IMG-20191026-WA0028.jpeg IMG-20191026-WA0033.jpeg IMG-20191026-WA0030.jpeg
The rock looks great!

Pmauro55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrodes, I guess I’m a little slow or I misses the part about consistency, it looks like you mix this until the mix is thick - like when I make oat meal cookies, correct me if I’m wrong. The other thing I didn’t catch fully is the mold, do you make an impression in the sand with another rock or carve out a specific shape? I can see how that works for flat rock but not sure how you get the textured look and 3D effect on other shapes,Or do you shape the mix like a sculpted shapes a statue.

Last edited:

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrodes, I guess I’m a little slow or I misses the part about consistency, it looks like you mix this until the mix is thick - like when I make oat meal cookies, correct me if I’m wrong. The other thing I didn’t catch fully is the mold, do you make an impression in the sand with another rock or carve out a specific shape? I can see how that works for flat rock but not sure how you get the textured look and 3D effect on other shapes,Or do you shape the mix like a sculpted shapes a statue.

I pretty much followed this. Only difference is that I live near a reef so I got the coral bones and smashed them to the appropriate size. Lol. Just realized that the question wasn't for me. Lol

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump! Who in here makes their own rock?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back