DIY sea salt mix?

DeepWat3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on setting up a sizeable fish-only system and wondering if it is possible to make a DIY sea salt mix using the same idea ESV salt mix has? Using good-grade magnesium sulfate and sodium chloride as the bulk of the mix and adding on aftermarket additives we have available to round it out specifically just in terms of a fish-only system? Or is it remotely possible to use commercially available salt mixes and add magnesium sulfate and sodium chloride to it as a way to increase the volume of salt water it can produce (50/50 mix?)?

The system is gonna comprise of 4-5 100-gallon aquariums that will house a variety of fishes like fairy wrasses, anthias, and a plethora of angelfishes.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure it's possible, the ingrediants shouldn't be hard to source. Back in the 50s and 60s before Instant Ocean showed up there were several fomulas floating around for making salt mixes. FOr 500 gallons it seems to me it would be easier to just buy a salt mix like Fritz Pro blue box. Measuring and mixing the ingrediants and maintaining a consitant quality seems to me it's more work than it would be worth for that volume of water.

Upvote 0

ecf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

ecf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Randy
I want your help in something i folow your Recipe every step but when i try to make bulk of the mix
For storing for futuar us in a will seald bags or buket it get damp and start to clump
I know salt is hygroscoop and mag chloride adzorp
what anty cacking or additev to be added to keeb it dry like the normal store salt
@Randy Holmes-Farley

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fish store and some of my clinte like it but in the store i about 3 month supply in a closed seeled and its not coming out dry like other brands

Depending on how well is is sealed, it should be OK for 3 months, but if the materials have extra moisture in them to being with,

Upvote 0

ecf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how well is is sealed, it should be OK for 3 months, but if the materials have extra moisture in them to being with,
I notes when mixing all keep dry untell i add the mgcl every thing start to get wet i try to dry them in an oven the magnesum chloride melts and everything start to get mushy

Upvote 0

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a bag of silica gel desiccant inside the container, may absorb the moisture before the salt.
Use a nylon bag or sock.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back