DIY skimmer questions??

logans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting my new 20l project. Going to build a counter current skimmer that will be in my sump. Can I T off the drain into my skimmer and put a gate valve at the inlet and outlet of the skimmer? I'm trying to eliminate as many pumps as possible so I thought I could use the drain line to put water thru the skimmer. I was also reading that you would need a slow flow thru the skimmer to optimize the process. Am I on the right track?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could but it will still lead to overflows a nice maxijet pump would be better it would feed it at a constant rate and eliminate the flucuating water levels there being more efficient and working like a charm....

sanddune600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are correct that you want low flow you could tee off the main pump as well if you get a little bigger pump you wont notice I plan on teeing off mine soon to run a gfo/carbon reactor

I did this for a long time with no issues I used a bean animal overflow so I had a extra overflow from the tank to prevent mishaps due to the skimmer being overly large and bulky for the tank it was in I ended up putting a smaller non recirculating skimmer in place that I can more easily clean

OP
OP
logans

logans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I plan on running the b/a overflow also. I like that idea running it off the return pump.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%

Back