DIY skimmer questions??

  • Thread starter Thread starter logans
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

logans

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 30, 2011
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
cookeville tn
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting my new 20l project. Going to build a counter current skimmer that will be in my sump. Can I T off the drain into my skimmer and put a gate valve at the inlet and outlet of the skimmer? I'm trying to eliminate as many pumps as possible so I thought I could use the drain line to put water thru the skimmer. I was also reading that you would need a slow flow thru the skimmer to optimize the process. Am I on the right track?
 
You could but it will still lead to overflows a nice maxijet pump would be better it would feed it at a constant rate and eliminate the flucuating water levels there being more efficient and working like a charm....
 
you are correct that you want low flow you could tee off the main pump as well if you get a little bigger pump you wont notice I plan on teeing off mine soon to run a gfo/carbon reactor

I did this for a long time with no issues I used a bean animal overflow so I had a extra overflow from the tank to prevent mishaps due to the skimmer being overly large and bulky for the tank it was in I ended up putting a smaller non recirculating skimmer in place that I can more easily clean
 
Yes I plan on running the b/a overflow also. I like that idea running it off the return pump.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new