DIY Small Calcium Reactor Media Experiment

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am doing a little searching around for small calcium reactor media for my second calcium reactor chamber, and was looking into CaribSea ARM Reactor Media (small).

I go to a somewhat secluded beach (only accessible by boat) at least once a week for work and collected some small shell shards. I was wondering if I could use this. It's small enough. I would still clean it, I have it soaking in RODI now.

The largest concern is phosphates. I was thinking about picking up a freshwater phosphate test, and adding lanthanum chloride as needed. Not sure how long this would take... I find it interesting that CaribSea advertises that their product doesn't contain gastropods shells, which I guess contain the most phosphates? The vast majority of the shells I'd be using are gastropods shells.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg IMG_3536 (1).JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm following!!

OP
OP
evmibo

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to correct myself in that I believe it's mostly bivalve shells, with a decent amount of gastropod shells.

I'm open to any ideas and/or suggestions people might have, thanks.

OP
OP
evmibo

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soaked it in rodi a 2-3 times and drained off the water each time. Working just fine, and never noticed a spike in phosphate either.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put any type of shells in a carx reactor. They will leach phosphates as they break down from the co2. Rinsing in Rodi water won't nessessarily make any phosphates leach. I recommend just using whatever media you use in your main reactor to also put in your secondary chamber to act as the scrubber

OP
OP
evmibo

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hybridazn

Too late. If I see a spike in phosphates I may change it out and just put more of the course TLF Reborn in there (that's what's in my main chamber). So far I haven't noticed anything that is alarming.

What's your opinion on the Caribsea media I linked in the first post? That's shells and seems to be a popular second chamber media for many reefers. I'm sure Caribsea cleans it more than rodi soaking though.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hybridazn

Too late. If I see a spike in phosphates I may change it out and just put more of the course TLF Reborn in there (that's what's in my main chamber). So far I haven't noticed anything that is alarming.

What's your opinion on the Caribsea media I linked in the first post? That's shells and seems to be a popular second chamber media for many reefers. I'm sure Caribsea cleans it more than rodi soaking though.

Not a fan of it. Even though it only leaches minimal phosphate, I'd rather use reborn that doesn't leach any due to any type of shells being in there.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back