DIY stand advice and painting help

  • Thread starter Thread starter sogdog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

sogdog

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 3, 2022
Messages
113
Reaction score
63
Location
Orange County
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have my 2x4’s and posts. I was wondering what wood I would use for the outside visible area. I intend to also put a door on it so I can store equipment under and out of sight.

I also would like to paint it. Nothing fancy, just a black coat but do I need to do anything to the wood like treat it? Either for the paint or water environment?
 
So I have my 2x4’s and posts. I was wondering what wood I would use for the outside visible area. I intend to also put a door on it so I can store equipment under and out of sight.

I also would like to paint it. Nothing fancy, just a black coat but do I need to do anything to the wood like treat it? Either for the paint or water environment?
Paint should provide enough protection from the elements. One important note though, if you use this with an acrylic tank, it must have a solid top or you'll crack the bottom of the tank. I'm partial to oak, but pine works well too and is more cost-effective. Not sure I'd use oak if I was going to paint it anyway.
 

Attachments

  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 40
Any latex paint will work just fine.. if you want to skin it with sheets of wood you can use mdf as long as you seal it up well with paint or use plywood. Same thing latex paint..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new