DIY stand advice and painting help

sogdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have my 2x4’s and posts. I was wondering what wood I would use for the outside visible area. I intend to also put a door on it so I can store equipment under and out of sight.

I also would like to paint it. Nothing fancy, just a black coat but do I need to do anything to the wood like treat it? Either for the paint or water environment?

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have my 2x4’s and posts. I was wondering what wood I would use for the outside visible area. I intend to also put a door on it so I can store equipment under and out of sight.

I also would like to paint it. Nothing fancy, just a black coat but do I need to do anything to the wood like treat it? Either for the paint or water environment?
Paint should provide enough protection from the elements. One important note though, if you use this with an acrylic tank, it must have a solid top or you'll crack the bottom of the tank. I'm partial to oak, but pine works well too and is more cost-effective. Not sure I'd use oak if I was going to paint it anyway.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 16

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any latex paint will work just fine.. if you want to skin it with sheets of wood you can use mdf as long as you seal it up well with paint or use plywood. Same thing latex paint..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back