DIY stand question

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built a stand for a 40 breeder. I used the basic diy plans. My question is the structural part of the stand is 35 7/8 in X 17 15/16. The over tank dimensions are 36 1/4 X 18 1/4. Will this small overhang be detrimental to the tank long term? I have some 1/4 plywood I can double up to make a top for the tank to sit on. I can move it forward and put just a small bit on the front trim pieces. Any suggestions, tips, opinions appreciated.
20210302_183756.jpg
20210302_174322.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a 1/2" top or better yet, 3/4" top, would better distribute the hang over pressure without giving any bend. Since it's a 40g tank, you'll probably get away with it.

Measure twice... cut once!!

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a 1/2" top or better yet, 3/4" top, would better distribute the hang over pressure without giving any bend. Since it's a 40g tank, you'll probably get away with it.

Measure twice... cut once!!
I made the mistake of using whole number dimensions vs exact. Live and learn, atleast it doesn't have to be redone. Just to make sure I understand should make a top for it?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second @Idoc ... put a top on that puppy and you are good to go. I also suggest getting a black yoga may to go between the wood and the tank.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of using whole number dimensions vs exact. Live and learn, atleast it doesn't have to be redone. Just to make sure I understand should make a top for it?
Yes, I would make a top for it.

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think it'd be fine. 40b is a small tank. usually those tanks are only supported either on the sides or front and back.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Support wise it should be fine the way it is for a framed glass 40. If you top it I would go the extra and definitely do 3/4" so there's no curling at the overhang edges. If you have the tools, make the topper oversize by 1" front-to-back and 2" end-to-end. Cut the edges along three sides (front, left, right) at 45-degrees and have yourself a nice looking top. Use wood filler to fill any exposed holes/gaps in the plywood layers.

Edge view of the plywood top...
IMG_20210302_214342823.jpg

Do that on three sides and let the back edge be flush with the tank frame.

Last edited:

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you do 1/2 or 3/4? I can move it towards the front a little bit to make sure it's all supported if that makes a difference.
I'd use 3/4" to limit the edge from possibly bending downward.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Support wise it should be fine the way it is for a framed glass 40. If you top it I would go the extra and definitely do 3/4" so there's no curling at the overhang edges. If you have the tools, make the topper oversize by 1" front-to-back and 2" end-to-end. Cut the edges along three sides (front, left, right) at 45-degrees and have yourself a nice looking top. Use wood filler to fill any exposed holes/gaps in the plywood layers.

Edge view of the plywood top...
IMG_20210302_214342823.jpg

Do that on three sides and let the back edge be flush with the tank frame.
I'll have to see what I can manage because I do like the look of that.
I'd use 3/4" to limit the edge from possibly bending downward.
Thank you! I'll guess I got some more work to do.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The doubled 1/4 would be fine structurally, just hard to finish... would lead to moisture/de-lamination issues. Perhaps if glued up, properly painted or sealed with epoxy.

3/4 material is often used in cabinetry because it is more stable dimensionally (warp resistant) not because the load requires it.

I wouldn’t bother with a yoga mat or anything on a rimmed tank. Just level the top out.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternative to adding a top if you are just looking to have more landing area for the tank rim:

Put a banding of 1x4 around the top edge. Just be sure it’s flush with the 2x4. Glue it and screw it... done.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternative to adding a top if you are just looking to have more landing area for the tank rim:

Put a banding of 1x4 around the top edge. Just be sure it’s flush with the 2x4. Glue it and screw it... done.
I debated just adding another 2x4 across the back and down to hold it as well. I haven't decided for sure on a top, was trying to get some other thoughts. It would cover up the ends of the 1/4 around the tank though

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add plywood to the back then add a top that should fix the overhang
I was wanting to leave the back open. I'm not sure if I'm going to put a sump on it yet so I was wanting to leave ample room if I needed to route plumbing

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back