DIY Stand Questions (first time)

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I am going to make my first attempt at building a stand for my new 48 x 24 x 13 inch tank. I have done some research and really like the look of the DIY ADA stand made on this forum: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/40809-building-ada.html

Will using only plywood be able to hold my size tank? I would like the tank to be as light as possible but at the same time be able to hold something that's probably around 600 pounds filled with water. And of course not having to shell out a lot of money in the meantime.

I am going to run to Home Depot today and pick up supplies.

Thank you!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 plywood will easily hold that tank. Take a look at commercial stands.....the majority use 3/4 plywood for their supporting structure.

Justiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer. NO. it is a bad choice. Please read and watch video.

I would get dry tempered hardboard that is oil treated. (HDF and Hard Board same thing, just different names)
It has a higher load rating then partical board, it is more water resistant, it is smooth on all sides and easy to paint. It is much better for use with Cam Connectors. (highly recomend cam connector assembly so you can keep the stand forever and easily assemble disassemble, stronger joints.) This is what they look like http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Fitting...&qid=1442243045&sr=1-5&keywords=cam+connector

If you go into Home depot and ask for dry tempered Hardboard oil treated they should take you right to it. IT IS SMOOTH compared to partical board or plywood and EASILY drilled. With added benefit of being stronger. (they will have a load rating sheet for the product if you have any concerns.)

Most all wood fish tank stands are made with HDF, cheap ones with wet tempered (they are smooth oneside and rough on other. Most are oil treated. In addition HDF is easier to bond Veneer to if you decide not to paint, for that real wood look, like most desks sold in the united states. (you can get veneer in wood, marble, solid colors, anything really)

Not a good choice plywood... not when you need a perfect cut. Lots of other reasons why not the best choice. Watch the video. It shows MDF, HDF is stronger. Stronger than any of the other options 3 options.

Last edited:

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good 9 ply plywood is strong enough to hold up a tank in excess of 1000 gal. Only if you construct it in the proper way. I would use plywood over dimensional lumber any day of the week.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer. NO. it is a bad choice. Please read and watch video.

I would get dry tempered hardboard that is oil treated. (HDF and Hard Board same thing, just different names)
It has a higher load rating then partical board, it is more water resistant, it is smooth on all sides and easy to paint. It is much better for use with Cam Connectors. (highly recomend cam connector assembly so you can keep the stand forever and easily assemble disassemble, stronger joints.) This is what they look like http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Fitting...&qid=1442243045&sr=1-5&keywords=cam+connector

If you go into Home depot and ask for dry tempered Hardboard oil treated they should take you right to it. IT IS SMOOTH compared to partical board or plywood and EASILY drilled. With added benefit of being stronger. (they will have a load rating sheet for the product if you have any concerns.)

Most all wood fish tank stands are made with HDF, cheap ones with wet tempered (they are smooth oneside and rough on other. Most are oil treated. In addition HDF is easier to bond Veneer to if you decide not to paint, for that real wood look, like most desks sold in the united states. (you can get veneer in wood, marble, solid colors, anything really)

Not a good choice plywood... not when you need a perfect cut. Lots of other reasons why not the best choice. Watch the video. It shows MDF, HDF is stronger. Stronger than any of the other options 3 options.

Your opinion is based on what experience? Do you build or make furniture or cabinets?

Justiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you have further concerns go to a local petco or petsmart. Look at the stands. The wood stands are actually MDF or HDF, and pretty much always use Cams assembly. Most furniture sold in the USA is MDF or HDF.
Your opinion is based on what experience? Do you build or make furniture or cabinets?

Nothing that fancy or pretty but lots of function stuff. I have made tool benches for several hundred pounds. I built elevated loft beds in the military in Iraq for my platoon, we got tired of finding scorpion and other creepy crawlers in our beds. I have built a fake city block out of plywood and MDF. I have built lofted playhouse. A lot of misc things that do not need to look super pretty but need to support weight. Built a "home" for myself and squad mates in Iraq 12x20 foot. It was more of a shack, but it did get electricity, metal roof, and windows. Also shelving, bird houses, and misc wood projects. Nothing that would win a HGTV design award, but good utilitarian pieces. I can't tell you how many splinters, warped boards, cracked boards I have had with plywood. But I definitely wouldn't use it for furniture I was painting or putting in my house. Oh part of a humanitarian camp in Beliz, and stuff for NTC in california. Oh and ramps for armored vehicle loading and unloading, improved gun emplacements with wood and hundreds of pounds of sand bags ontop. Oh and I have assembled more than my fair share of HDF and MDF furniture.

Oh and I have had to do the calculations for demolitions of various structures, with a variety of materials. So I learned a lot about structural supports, and engineering as part of my job in the military. When working with explosives the math, and physics has to be perfect or it just won't work. ( I messed up once and had to clear two dozen blocks of primed C4, that blew away from a site instead of detonating. Needless to say I checked the math dozens of times after that and always got a second opinion).

Plywood warps... that means that it is not 100% level. It is annoying to assemble with and it splinters easy.

I was a combat engineer 21b in army. I signed up to play with explosives and found out most people use us for manual labor instead unless we are deployed to combat, then they are all for letting us handle anything that goes boom, provided they are not standing next to us.

Last edited:

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, Why do you suppose anybody uses plywood any more if the MDF type material is so good. I am a retired home builder and I would never consider MDF for my roof sheeting. Would you?

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a professional Carpenter.
HDF is probably the best option is not widely available. In my CO town it's only found in 5/4 and is expensive. For strength, cosmetics and availability I would go for 20 ply plywood. But honestly, when I build a stand I stick frame it then skin it with 1/8" or 1/4".

Justiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, Why do you suppose anybody uses plywood any more if the MDF type material is so good. I am a retired home builder and I would never consider MDF for my roof sheeting. Would you?

He isn't building a roof. He is building a stand. :p removed rest of reply was too long.

Last edited:

Justiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a professional Carpenter.
HDF is probably the best option is not widely available. In my CO town it's only found in 5/4 and is expensive. For strength, cosmetics and availability I would go for 20 ply plywood. But honestly, when I build a stand I stick frame it then skin it with 1/8" or 1/4".

Sometimes it takes an expert, great idea.

Justiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and a roof may encounter water, and so might a tank stand. Which will hold up beter?

Everyone knows that plywood has a better return after swelling caused by saturation, and is structurally stronger than total saturated hardwood. But I will take the oil treated HDF, as it absorbs water more slowly. Which is why in high humidity areas it is actually used more in construction. Or in areas where there may be weeping. This is why in basements hardwood is preferred over real wood and plywood for flooring. Sub-flooring plywood is preferred because of it's ability to withstand saturation (prolonged periods of total flooding). So people use Hardwood if they want a wood bathroom floor for instance, but they still use plywood for the sub-floor because it is more structurally stable if total saturation occurs (a flood). You don't want your house falling down because bathtube flooded, and you don't want your floor ruined because of moisture from common bathroom activities. BOTH have their place, but for furniture, HDF is better unless you plan to flood a lot and want to salvage your furniture. :)

SoFloGator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made tool benches for several hundred pounds. I built elevated loft beds in the military in Iraq for my platoon, we got tired of finding scorpion and other creepy crawlers in our beds. I have built a fake city block out of plywood and MDF. I have built lofted playhouse. A lot of misc things that do not need to look super pretty but need to support weight. Built a "home" for myself and squad mates in Iloraq 12x20 foot. It was more of a shack, but it did get electricity, metal roof, and windows. Also shelving, bird houses, and misc wood projects. Nothing that would win a HGTV design award, but good utilitarian pieces. I can't tell you how many splinters, warped boards, cracked boards I have had with plywood. But I definitely wouldn't use it for furniture I was painting or putting in my house. Oh part of a humanitarian camp in Beliz, and stuff for NTC in california. Oh and ramps for armored vehicle loading and unloading, improved gun emplacements with wood and hundreds of pounds of sand bags ontop. Oh and I have assembled more than my fair share of HDF and MDF furniture.

Oh and I have had to do the calculations for demolitions of various structures, with a variety of materials. So I learned a lot about structural supports, and engineering as part of my job in the military. When working with explosives the math, and physics has to be perfect or it just won't work.
I was a combat engineer 21b in army. I signed up to play with explosives and found out most people use us for manual labor instead unless we are deployed to combat, then they are all for letting us handle anything that goes boom, provided they are not standing next to us.

Justiful, I would just like to say thank you to you for your service to our Country.
SoFloGator

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back