DIY stand questions

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do know that if you were to buy a stand it would be made out of wood or particle board. 2x4s or plywood will be fine.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do know that if you were to buy a stand it would be made out of wood or particle board. 2x4s or plywood will be fine.

Yes however that wood is treated etc and I'm not sure how to do that, thanks for the thread it will help alot

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes however that wood is treated etc and I'm not sure how to do that, thanks for the thread it will help alot

The out side paint and clear coat the inside use this or if you want to get crazy pond armor

D2A9731A-A371-4CB5-BA31-B0CF6DFB92AF.png

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are hot dipped screws a must?

How many coats would you reccomend?
They last a very long time and it adheres to the base metal better. I believe @Paul B also stated to not use just plain old galvanized ones as well.

as for the coats, I do 3 since a gallon of tractor enamel is only 25 bucks at TSC.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They last a very long time and it adheres to the base metal better. I believe @Paul B also stated to not use just plain old galvanized ones as well.

as for the coats, I do 3 since a gallon of tractor enamel is only 25 bucks at TSC.
Almost forgot since I noticed you asked about colors for another paint. That paint for appliances does come in black. The tractor paint also comes in every color of the rainbow. I have been wanting to do a John Deere themed stand under the skin just to do it lol.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve with the nails are you recommending I have metal as the main supports since you said it adheres to metal better? Would it be better to do any paint and then the tractor enamel which is clear?

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this paint be okay to waterproof and colour the stand? It contains polyurethane and is available in Australia?
As for the stand I'm mainly looking at these two videos, I think I'll do the thicker supports (mad hatters reef) in the corners but the smaller ones in the middle from king of DIY's video and add sorry etc similar to as king of DIY did. Thanks for showing me this video @Reef-junky

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you don't mind waiting until tomorrow, I will ask my neighbor about it. He is the paint project manager for our local government. He came from Florida, so he is well aware of the effects of salt on painted surfaces and durability.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind waiting until tomorrow, I will ask my neighbor about it. He is the paint project manager for our local government. He came from Florida, so he is well aware of the effects of salt on painted surfaces and durability.
Don't mind at all, thank you so much in advance

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to use screws for something deck screws will last forever. They have like a ceramic coating on them which is why they are used on outdoor decks.

But bolts and other hardware need to be Hot Dipped galvanized which is very different from something that just says "galvanized"

Quote about deck screws:

The most important characteristic of deck screws is their resistance to corrosion. This is determined by the type of metal or metal coating that doesn't succumb to rust. For example, zinc plated (galvanized), stainless steel, high copper content, and ceramic-coated screws are appropriate for exterior use on decks or fences because they won't stain the timber.

So if you are going to go through the labor of building something, spend a few extra bucks for the correct hardware that will outlast whatever you are building and not think about the rust .
weakening and staining your project.

Almost any metal you can buy will be labeled "Elecrtro galvanized" or "Zinc Plated". That is garbage and stuff you will find in Home Depot. Hot dipped galvanized is totally different and needed if you are using anything near salt water or pressure treated wood.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to use screws for something deck screws will last forever. They have like a ceramic coating on them which is why they are used on outdoor decks.

But bolts and other hardware need to be Hot Dipped galvanized which is very different from something that just says "galvanized"
Okay thank you again :) is there any material of deck screw that is ideal or to be avoided? I know to avoid copper but any others?

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goodmorning, I’m a CMA (cabinet maker association) cabinetmaker here in Nashville, TN.

#1 have you purchased materials yet?

this is extremely simple, I’d like to assist

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goodmorning, I’m a CMA (cabinet maker association) cabinetmaker here in Nashville, TN.

#1 have you purchased materials yet?

this is extremely simple, I’d like to assist
I haven't purchased anything yet I'm still at the research and planning stage and any help is greatly appreciated :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used deck screws on my boat in salt water for decades and they look brand new.

Polymer-Protected
Polymer-coated steel screws, nails and bolts rely on a thin zinc plating covered with a non-reactive organic polymer coating to fight corrosion in copper-treated wood. The polymer coating acts like a plastic wrapper to keep water and dissolved copper from reaching and reacting with the zinc and steel.

Back