diy stand questions

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of questions about building my own stand
information the tank is a 75 with a 35 gallon sump that I would like to switch out for a diy 40b sump

my questions

what kind of paint do I use to protect against saltwater?
how much do you think it will cost?(just a basic wood stand nothing like cabinets or trim? I think that's the right word)
I want my sump to sit on the stand like on plywood is there anything I should know about this?
my tank has a corner overflow with the drain line and return line in it is there anything I should know about building a stand around that?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stand cost ~$150-$200 including everything (it’s way oversized though, I use it for workspace and 29gal tank). I caulked the inside of the stand and painted with some valspar outdoor paint, it can hold water. For the outside I used an exterior water resistant stain followed by 4 coats of polyurethane, this can also hold water. With the drain lines you don’t have to do anything special just leave the back open or be ready to drill the holes. I document my progress in a nutshell on my build thread.

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could i use this?
1613346232062.png

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have used marine boat paint, others have used epoxy. I have spent the last two weeks building my stand and I used three coats of exterior house paint. Everything was caulked - above and below. All of the screws were countersunk and covered in wood putty before paint.
The only thing I would have done differently is to plane the wood before I built it.

Joey Merrell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what does it mean to plane wood?
It’s squaring up the wood. I have a cabinet shop and I’d say just run it down a table saw to square it up and ditch the planer. You will get the same result. Still need to sand it after it’s built so edges aren’t so sharp.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back