DIY stand

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm gonna attempt to build my own stand but I've never done this before. Off the top of your head, what items should I be picking up? I have some tools at my house(drill, jigsaw, circular saw, screwdrivers, level, etc etc) but as far as glue, hardware and wood/finishes go, I'm unsure. Like I said, first time doing this so bare with me lol

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually watched this one before.. not really a good instructional video however.. he doesn't show himself doing anything. It looks like a solid stand and I may just do mine that same way maybe.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need is 3/4" plywood (if you want top of the line, go Baltic birch), construction adhesive and a Kreg pockethole jig with stainless steel 1-1/4" screws. You can go the 2x4 frame and skin route but it will be assively overbuilt, heavy and you won't be maximizing the space inside the stand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...s=kreg+jig&dpPl=1&dpID=41E7C63NTJL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000VK124W/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Since I'm essentially building the exact same stand as you, I will also be using stainless steel European straight arm hinges for the full length double doors as well.

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinge...inless-steel-european-straight-arm-hinge-1412

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Kreg jig way a personal preference of yours or is it supposed to be better overall? I may go a different route with my door and actually just make it magnetic

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes for very easy to accomplish, accurate and strong joints when putting together plywood sheet. A plywood stand put together with pocket screw joints makes using a 2x4 frame uneccessary.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse my lack of knowledge with wood shop lol but is plywood just the sheets of wood or do they come in 2x4's too? Lol such an amateur when it comes to this stuff lol

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plywood is just the sheets of wood that are laminated together in layers. For our purposes, if you're doing a plywood only stand, 3/4" is best along with verneer edging tape to hide the edge seams.

If your going the 2x4 frame route, you could skin the frame with 1/4" finish plywood and use trim pieces to hide the seams.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I like the 2x4 frame with plywood skins way. I've looked at a lot of google images and I like the finish of those stands. I'm gonna make this stand bigger than the tank just so I have enough room for everything I wanna do underneath

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's gonna be a long process more than likely so I'll take pics as I go and then when it's finished I'll be sure to post everything I got.. I'm gonna attempt to draw up something right now

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, when you choose your 2x4s be very picky and try to get the straightest pieces. A good level used often is vital. If you find that you're off a little bit, the plywood skin will go a long way in keeping everything square.

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out some builds on YouTube from "the king of DIY", I built mine watching his, pretty easy to follow. looking forward to your build.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go the 2 x 4 route, here's the plan for building. Up to a four foot tank, all can be 2 x 4's. Over four feet, you want the top frame to be 2 x 6's. No center braces are needed.

ReefcentralStand.jpg

Here's my five foot frame for my build

OurStand.jpg

You will also want to top it with 3/4 plywood to "smooth out" any imperfections in the dimensional lumber.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been contemplating on making my stand about 4 foot long instead of the 3 foot for the actual tank size. OR making a stand for my tank alone and then adding another little stand next to it. I wanted to make additional room for anything else I may need underneath and as for the top of the stand, it'll be like a lil work area(fragging, acclimating etc etc). With all that being said.. would I need to make center supports if the stand is 4ft even tho the tank will only be on 3ft of it?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That shouldn't be a problem at all. This stand is so overbuild, it could hold an elephant. I'd just put cross braces under where the tank will sit and again, top with 3/4 plywood.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did all my measurements and it seems like I'm gonna need around eight 8ft 2x4's to get this done. And 4 sheets of 3/4" plywood.

I can have all of this cut at the store right? I mean I could do it on my own but I live in a condo so space is limited to cut up stuff lol

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have most things cut in the store but they only guarantee measurements to an 1/8" so they may not be 100% perfect cuts. I would suggest that you get them to cut them 2 or so inches larger then trim them to your exact measurements at home. being in a condo definitely makes things a challenge but if they are roughly cut close to your measurements it should make moving them around your place for cutting and fine tuning MUCH easier

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back