DIY Sump/Fuge Light - fixture suggestions?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to install a DIY fuge light. Primary goal is modest chato to farm copepods.

I understand (correct me if I’m wrong) that a 5000k led bulb would work. I’m having some difficulty in finding appropriate fixtures though.

My gut tells me to go with an outdoor light fixture, just I’m having difficulty in finding one that I could attach to the stand (wood stand). And I’m hesitant about clamp on options and/or bulbs suspended from above in case they come loose and fall into the water….

I hope to find a fixture I can screw into the wood, that will accommodate a bulb socket that’s pre-attached to a plug so I don’t have to do any wiring.

Any suggestions?

Also - for this goal any recommendations on bulb strength?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to install a DIY fuge light. Primary goal is modest chato to farm copepods.

I understand (correct me if I’m wrong) that a 5000k led bulb would work. I’m having some difficulty in finding appropriate fixtures though.

My gut tells me to go with an outdoor light fixture, just I’m having difficulty in finding one that I could attach to the stand (wood stand). And I’m hesitant about clamp on options and/or bulbs suspended from above in case they come loose and fall into the water….

I hope to find a fixture I can screw into the wood, that will accommodate a bulb socket that’s pre-attached to a plug so I don’t have to do any wiring.

Any suggestions?

Also - for this goal any recommendations on bulb strength?
I used this light over my 7' macro tank (had 7 of them) and also above my sump for the 180.

The light supported tons of different macros and cheato in the 180 sump. I used a hook to secure it above the sump, as the hook was screwed into a piece of wood that I affixed to the underside of the stand. I then took a zip tie and placed it over the ring on the light and the hook, so that the light could not fall off.I am now using a Kessil 360we tuna blue for the sump, as I have a ton of nems down there, but would not hesitate to use this light again for macros, gorgs and other things that I did not want to fluoresce. I also still have all 8 of them put up and plan to use then in the future when I setup another macro tank.

Here is the link to the light and here are a few pics showing the light and what they supported.

Here is it above my sump.
tempImageHGE2SR.png

Here they are above the macro tank
IMG_7413.jpg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only suggestion is that you consider a LED lightbulb to avoid the amount of heat generated by an incandescent bulb. Take a look at the Luxbird LED Grow light bulb. It’s waterproof and might be what youre looking for. You can find it on Amazon

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this light over my 7' macro tank (had 7 of them) and also above my sump for the 180.

The light supported tons of different macros and cheato in the 180 sump. I used a hook to secure it above the sump, as the hook was screwed into a piece of wood that I affixed to the underside of the stand. I then took a zip tie and placed it over the ring on the light and the hook, so that the light could not fall off.I am now using a Kessil 360we tuna blue for the sump, as I have a ton of nems down there, but would not hesitate to use this light again for macros, gorgs and other things that I did not want to fluoresce. I also still have all 8 of them put up and plan to use then in the future when I setup another macro tank.

Here is the link to the light and here are a few pics showing the light and what they supported.

Here is it above my sump.
tempImageHGE2SR.png

Here they are above the macro tank
Out of curiosity - what do you have planted in the sump?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back