Diy sump help please

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pocket screws are mostly acting as clamps in this situation. just keeping everything aligned till the glue dries. I'm a firm believer in the glue and screw method. If you glue it you will have to cut it out again to remove the sump. My stand has a removable end panel for sump removal

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, i am in the process of putting together my first ever reef tank (link to build thread will be poated when i actually make one), and am at the point where im looking at sumps.

Premade sumpa ive seen are really nice and expensive, and i have not seen any that fit what i want exactly, my cabinet also has a vertical support right in the middle front, so i cant wiggle anything bigger than a 20 gallom tank in.

I started toying with the idea of building my own sump, inside the stand as i want as big of a sump as possible. Has anyone built a sump within a stand? Would that be feasible? I would have someone helping me smooth silicone etc and i will 3d print 90 deg support holding glass panes.

Another question i have is regarding glass thickness. After sone inquirys it seems 1/4 glass is most economical, with 3/8 being more than twice the price. Would a sump made from 1/4 glass be ok? The dimensions will be around 40" x 16" x 16" ±2". I would like to avoid a center brace.

Thank you
I had a very similar predicament to yours. I built my own stand for my 75G display many years ago before the idea of a reef tank was ever a consideration. I built it with supports in the center and then when I decided to start a reef setup, I couldn't get a big sump inside it. So what I did was use 2 tanks. I was able to get a 20g in one side, which has the filter floss, bubble trap, skimmer section and return. Then I built a small stand to raise a 10g tank up on the other side of the stand as a dedicated refugium, drilled it for a bulkhead as an overflow back into the sump, and split the return from the sump between the display and the refugium. The nice thing about a separate refugium is A, it's full to the top so it uses all 10g, as opposed to a refugium section of the sump which is usually only 2/3 full, and B, I can control the flow separately from the sump with ball valves on the split return.

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very similar predicament to yours. I built my own stand for my 75G display many years ago before the idea of a reef tank was ever a consideration. I built it with supports in the center and then when I decided to start a reef setup, I couldn't get a big sump inside it. So what I did was use 2 tanks. I was able to get a 20g in one side, which has the filter floss, bubble trap, skimmer section and return. Then I built a small stand to raise a 10g tank up on the other side of the stand as a dedicated refugium, drilled it for a bulkhead as an overflow back into the sump, and split the return from the sump between the display and the refugium. The nice thing about a separate refugium is A, it's full to the top so it uses all 10g, as opposed to a refugium section of the sump which is usually only 2/3 full, and B, I can control the flow separately from the sump with ball valves on the split return.

i had also considered that, however i would like to use the entirety of my cabinet area for the sump, front to back, which is 16" and i have not seen any tanks 16" wide front to back, only 12/13" or 18". i am planning to build my sump like Melevsreef, drain and skimmer section on left side, big fuge on right, and return section in the center. ofc this is all still under planning, so it may all change, and i will keep your setup in mind. thank you.

Back