DIY sump Help!

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m beginning the process of building my own sump out of a 20l I got during the $1/gallon sale. I’m slowly procuring all the parts and equipment so I can have an easy transition from my current setup.

I’ve been looking at a few diy baffle kits and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of brands or if anyone has had experience with the ones I’m currently looking at.

Current, my first choice is Fuji cube

https://www.fijicube.com/collection...it-20-gallon-fiji-cube?variant=14260347142213

Second choice is exotic marine

https://www.exoticmarinesystems.com/collections/sump-kits/products/diy-sump-kit-complete-kit

I like how the Fuji cube design allows for a refugium whereas the exotic marine does not. The exotic marine also has the drain pipes go into a smaller section before the socks - is this beneficial over them going directly into the socks??

Open to other ideas!!!

Thanks!

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the Fiji because you have room for a skimmer and a refugium. The EMS is good if you don't want a refugium so you can have a place for the skimmer.

OP
OP
D

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just completed my first build back in March. I built my sump out of a 40B with a fiji cube baffle kit and love it

Any pointers or lessons learned from your build? 40b is a little bigger than my 20l build will be ;Happy

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pointers or lessons learned from your build? 40b is a little bigger than my 20l build will be ;Happy
Be sure to use aquarium safe silicon :)

I used the little GE squeeze tubes. Come in a black and green tube. Found that to be easiest.

Also before placing baffles make sure you know what equipment is going in for spacing. I actually had to move a baffle. I assembled my sump going by the footprint specs of my skimmer but found out that the ring towards the top of my skimmer actually was wider than the base so had to move the baffle over slightly.

Other than that no real tricks or mods. It's really simple

Edit: actually one thing I did do was removed the foam strips from the bubble trap. I noticed large pods were getting trapped on the top foam
57ceca62fe73fdfef1c7cf7f73e174aa.jpg
3b79a90c9e9ccd87cebe0f70b5ab41ab.jpg

wmhaupfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of my tank build (and I really need to start my build thread) and I was given a 40 gallon tank for free that I turned into a sump. I ordered a Triton sump kit from jax.racks on ebay ( https://www.ebay.com/str/jax-racks-123 ) and he made me a custom one to fit my tank for $150. It fit great and has room for skimmer and refugium and overflows into the filter socks instead of directly into them which I like. I had him make it adjustable from 10-16" so I had a good range of water height to play with wince my skimmer will be on a stand anyways. I didn't take a picture top down so I included a pic from the jax.racks too.
20180919_235450.jpg
Jax.Racks Sump Pic.jpg

OP
OP
D

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of my tank build (and I really need to start my build thread) and I was given a 40 gallon tank for free that I turned into a sump. I ordered a Triton sump kit from jax.racks on ebay ( https://www.ebay.com/str/jax-racks-123 ) and he made me a custom one to fit my tank for $150. It fit great and has room for skimmer and refugium and overflows into the filter socks instead of directly into them which I like. I had him make it adjustable from 10-16" so I had a good range of water height to play with wince my skimmer will be on a stand anyways. I didn't take a picture top down so I included a pic from the jax.racks too.
20180919_235450.jpg
Jax.Racks Sump Pic.jpg

Ohhh I like! I keep seeing some sumps have the drain lines go into a separate section before the socks rather than directly into them. What is the reason for this? I feel like that first section would just get so full of gunk rather than the socks

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180919_235450.jpg
Jax.Racks Sump Pic.jpg
Looks very similar to the fiji cube

Doesn't a Triton sump just dump the overflows directly into the fuge?

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh I like! I keep seeing some sumps have the drain lines go into a separate section before the socks rather than directly into them. What is the reason for this? I feel like that first section would just get so full of gunk rather than the socks
Fiji cube is the same. Pipes don't go directly into socks. It overflows over the sock plate. Makes it much easier to remove and replace socks

wmhaupfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The reasoning for me is so I can remove the filter socks for cleaning easier than if a I had a drain line going directly into them. I am curious to see how much gunk accumulates in that first chamber before the socks.

Looks very similar to the fiji cube

Doesn't a Triton sump just dump the overflows directly into the fuge?

From what I have read, you are correct. My tank, however has a center brace that makes putting the skimmer in the center section difficult. If I could do it the way I wanted, I would put the skimmer second and the refugium first, but can't argue with a free tank so I will work with it.

OP
OP
D

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what, you’re right. I couldn’t tell from the pictures because of the angle...ha!

I just took a closer look and you my friend, are correct l

OP
OP
D

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reasoning for me is so I can remove the filter socks for cleaning easier than if a I had a drain line going directly into them. I am curious to see how much gunk accumulates in that first chamber before the socks.

From what I have read, you are correct. My tank, however has a center brace that makes putting the skimmer in the center section difficult. If I could do it the way I wanted, I would put the skimmer second and the refugium first, but can't argue with a free tank so I will work with it.

Just cut the brace out. Your tank shouldn’t have enough water in it to cause it to fall apart. Plus with the baffles in it will help keep the integrity of the tank together as well. Giving you more room

wmhaupfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cut the brace out. Your tank shouldn’t have enough water in it to cause it to fall apart. Plus with the baffles in it will help keep the integrity of the tank together as well. Giving you more room
eh, I already put the baffles in for each section and measured them for their respective purposes. the refugium section shouldn't suffer that much from having the skimmer first.

OP
OP
D

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eh, I already put the baffles in for each section and measured them for their respective purposes. the refugium section shouldn't suffer that much from having the skimmer first.

Wouldn’t you want your skimmer first? That way your fuge is getting nice clean water and your pods or whatever you are growing in with your fuge won’t get sucked up in the skimmer.
Just my thoughts...

wmhaupfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t you want your skimmer first? That way your fuge is getting nice clean water and your pods or whatever you are growing in with your fuge won’t get sucked up in the skimmer.
Just my thoughts...

Fair point, my thought with having the fuge first was only so it got the first pick of nutrients before the skimmer and then the skimmer took what was left over. But you make a point that I didn't really think of with the pods. Sounds like I unintentionally made a better decision by putting the skimmer first haha.

ncshpfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is also much quieter. The drain line is placed below the water line of the sump so no water is falling and splashing. Then the chamber fills up and flows into the filter socks.

OP
OP
D

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair point, my thought with having the fuge first was only so it got the first pick of nutrients before the skimmer and then the skimmer took what was left over. But you make a point that I didn't really think of with the pods. Sounds like I unintentionally made a better decision by putting the skimmer first haha.

Again just my thoughts I’m no expert haha! I’m sure there are pros and cons either way!

OP
OP
D

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is also much quieter. The drain line is placed below the water line of the sump so no water is falling and splashing. Then the chamber fills up and flows into the filter socks.

Have you had experience with a sump layout that way before? I would think that first chamber gets filled with all the stuff your socks should be catching. Does it stay suspended enough in that sections to float into the socks or does it settle to the bottom

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back