DIY Sump Sock Shelf

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where I can buy a sock shelf for a Sump/Refugium I am building?

This is what I want to do...
I want to create a section where the water lines coming in can be well below the water line of the sump and force that water up onto the shelf where it can flow down into a few socks for initial mechanical filtering. MANY pre-fabbed sumps work this way, and this is what I want to emulate, however I can't find anywhere to purchase said sock shelf.

Sock%20Shelf-S.jpg

I find these everywhere, but these are a pain to change as you have to pull the water line out of the sock if you have it below the water line, or you just pour water into the sock splashing it everywhere... I DO NOT want one of these...

https://www.marinedepot.com/Mode_Aq...ories-Mode_Aquariums-6M99377-FIFRBSAC-vi.html

Does anyone know where I can simply buy the "shelf", i.e. a piece of acrylic with beveled 4 or 7 inch holes? I would do one myself, but I don't have the tools to cut a perfect circle with beveled edges...

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where I can buy a sock shelf for a Sump/Refugium I am building?

This is what I want to do...
I want to create a section where the water lines coming in can be well below the water line of the sump and force that water up onto the shelf where it can flow down into a few socks for initial mechanical filtering. MANY pre-fabbed sumps work this way, and this is what I want to emulate, however I can't find anywhere to purchase said sock shelf.

Sock%20Shelf-S.jpg

I find these everywhere, but these are a pain to change as you have to pull the water line out of the sock if you have it below the water line, or you just pour water into the sock splashing it everywhere... I DO NOT want one of these...

https://www.marinedepot.com/Mode_Aq...ories-Mode_Aquariums-6M99377-FIFRBSAC-vi.html

Does anyone know where I can simply buy the "shelf", i.e. a piece of acrylic with beveled 4 or 7 inch holes? I would do one myself, but I don't have the tools to cut a perfect circle with beveled edges...
Hole saw and a sander is the way I would cut it and bevel it. then a propane torch to smooth it out.

bobble28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used a 4" hole saw and some scrap acrylic I had laying around then silicones it in place.

8453e4c2cd01fe1b2ba45f4ff0a57b98.jpg

3f2ade5134c446e4fbe0b41ce812e36e.jpg

4a46d881e30113ec7883423ff7c0b5dd.jpg

6bc74f68f0f0599b7b45abe9e0db01b6.jpg
Nice! I have a dual sock holder but don't like it, so maybe I'll just cannibalize it and make one, I have the acrylic to make the 2 baffel pieces just need weldon. How noisy is the shelf style like that and is salt creep an issue?

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I have a dual sock holder but don't like it, so maybe I'll just cannibalize it and make one, I have the acrylic to make the 2 baffel pieces just need weldon. How noisy is the shelf style like that and is salt creep an issue?

Mine is dead silent. Also salt creep has not been an issue as there is not really any splashing. Just make sure you get the platform that holds the socks level mine is slightly off and I notice the sock in the back gets dirty way faster than the front one. Not a huge deal, I just rotate socks from front to back to the washing machine every few days.

Back