OP
OP
T

TylersTanks29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the DT and the piece that will be holding the pipes. It will be mounted on the backside. Today I should be able to get everything done and hooked up. Did a water check on the sump and it passed no issues. I did Silicone the top trim back on, it will be helpful for using a lid.
20190324_163833.jpg
20190324_163419.jpg

OP
OP
T

TylersTanks29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo, I've got things up and running, had a few leaks I had to fix. I never thought the drain side would need to be glued as well, I dry fitted it all. So had to go back to glue it all, live and learn.

My troubles now is the fine tuning of the drain and pump. I believe that I have it at a good spot. I think my pump might need to be replaced with a larger gph pump. Thing is, I'm not entirely sure how much my overflow box can do? I bought it used years ago. It is definitely a big box, using 1" out the bottom. I'm not sure if there is a way to figure out how by the dimensions of it. Then I can size my return pump accordingly. Right now I have my valve almost closed on the drain side so it doesn't give more water than what the pump can return.

I've tried to look up some things but I'm having trouble finding anything helpful.

Thanks in advance :)

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drain can be opened all the way as the tank will only overflow the amount of water that the pump pushes into the tank. The valve on the drain side is typically used to slow the drain to maintain a full siphon to reduce noise in a Herbie or Animal Bean type drain. I wouldn’t use the valve on a durso , or single pipe drain, as a clog could cause the tank to overflow. I would look into variable speed pumps then you can turn it up as high as the drains allow.

OP
OP
T

TylersTanks29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, that helps me understand more. I did what you both suggested, valve is wide open. It is definitely louder, any way to change that? I don't mind the sound of running water, but this is like dumping into a pit Hahaha

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming you have a single drain pipe from the overflow box? There are a few tweaks you can do with a Durso Standpipe. Best thing to do would be search YouTube for Durso Standpipe or Durso Drain to get a better understanding of how it works and what you can do to quiet it. I haven’t been able to get mine as quiet as I want and will be converting to a Herbie design soon. With only 2 holes in each overflow I will have to run my return line over the back of my tank.

OP
OP
T

TylersTanks29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @JDnKY , yes I have a single line external overflow box. Will be trying the durso set up for sure. The more research I'm doing, having an emergency drain is great too. So I wouldn't mind a herbie or bean system someday.

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @JDnKY , yes I have a single line external overflow box. Will be trying the durso set up for sure. The more research I'm doing, having an emergency drain is great too. So I wouldn't mind a herbie or bean system someday.

You’re very welcome Tyler! Glad to help. When putting the Durso together, you don’t need to glue any parts of the drain that are inside the overflow box, even if they leak the water still goes into the drainpipe and you can pull it apart later for tweaks, cleaning or converting to a Herbie. Also, since you don’t have the drainpipe built, do a search for “Hofer Gurgle Buster”. I’ve converted my Durso to a Gurgle Buster and it’s not as quiet as I want but it is quieter than a standard Durso.

Last edited:

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Herbie setup. Once it's adjusted properly you can tell if anything is wrong by the sound of your drain. For example if your return pump needs cleaning, you will hear the waterfall because the drain is flowing more water than is being pumped. If your drain is plugged, you will hear the water running down the emergency line.

OP
OP
T

TylersTanks29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, speaking of return pumps. Is there any rule of thumb on gph turn over rate? I thought I read somewhere I would take my DT gallons x 10= gph I'd want? Don't know if that's true or not. If it is, I would need 400 gph at like 14'
My pump is working now, but I feel like it's under powered. I can't seem to find a pump chart for it either.

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pump are you using? I have the Reef Octopus Varios 8 and have the Varios 6 as a backup. I’m pumping water about the same height as you, I figured mine at about 11 feet and both pumps work but the 8 is quite a bit stronger. I have a 180g but with a 40g I would think the 6 would be just fine.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please change to a herbie or bean drain now. You will be kicking yourself for years if you don’t. In my experience durso’s are very touchy to keep quiet and have far less capacity and safety.

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also read 10x per hour but don’t think I’m getting but maybe 5 or 6x and everything is fine. Make sure you have plenty of in-tank flow. I have 2 Maxpect Gyre xf250’s and another 1500 gph powerhead in my 180.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think 10x is the goal through the sump. That is total including powerheads. I'm probably flowing
3-5x through my sump/ refugium. I'm not running a skimmer so that may be different.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back