Diy Sump

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One foot for filter socks and a skimmer may not be enough. If you use a plate to hold your filter socks, it will probably take 5 or 6 inches for 4 inch socks leaving only about 6 inches for a skimmer, you said earlier that you may swap it out if it doesn’t keep up. It would always require an external, or very small, skimmer if you only leave 6 inches. I would look at potential replacement skimmers and get some idea of the space needed before glueing.

OP
OP
T

TylersTanks29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be better off putting the skimmer with the return pump?
Leaving the first chamber just for the filter sock holder and sock. Make it just enough to fit that. Then make my return pump chamber bigger to house skimmer more comfortably.

I wasn't sure if it was a good or bad idea to have skimmer after the refugium. Thoughts?? :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great Pre-planning

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my skimmer in the same compartment as my return pump and it works fine for me, I'm sure others will have differing opinions. Just so long as the water level stays consistent with top off it works fine

OP
OP
T

TylersTanks29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my skimmer in the same compartment as my return pump and it works fine for me, I'm sure others will have differing opinions. Just so long as the water level stays consistent with top off it works fine

Ive seen lots of people do it this way so idk if there are any cons to it. I wasn't sure having pods before the skimmer was frowned upon? Or am I thinking wrong, maybe they won't even be able to get through the baffles? Idk, I've never had pods before

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I see with skimmer sharing a compartment with return pump is the tiny bubbles. Seems to me like the bubbles would be pumped directly into the DT. It would defeat the purpose of the bubble trap. I’ve never tried this so I may be wrong.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I see with skimmer sharing a compartment with return pump is the tiny bubbles. Seems to me like the bubbles would be pumped directly into the DT. It would defeat the purpose of the bubble trap. I’ve never tried this so I may be wrong.
Never had a problem with mine, I just directed the flow from the skimmer away from the return pump

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing it out there but I have my fuge first then socks (which I never use, thank god) and skimmer then return... modified Triton method sump

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180424_201645.jpg
this is my sump setup

OP
OP
T

TylersTanks29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got my glass yesterday, was so excited to get it put in. I didn't realize until I had the bottom of the first piece Siliconed that I had picked up white instead of clear. Oh well holds all the same, I haven't used to much Silicone in my life so it isn't the best looking, but as long as it holds it will be fine.

I did take the top off section out from the original design, I did stay with my under and over baffle though. If I notice any problems I can take out the first under baffle to make it an over and under, no biggie. Going to wait a few days, then do a water test.
Thanks again for all the help everyone! :)

20190321_191514.jpg

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. With the 40g DT there should be good flow, plenty of room for overflow from power outage and lots of room for whatever else you want to put in there. Probably double your water volume, which is a great thing. Can’t wait to see the rest of the build.

OP
OP
T

TylersTanks29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, today was another productive day. Here is an updated photo. Doing a water test tomorrow. Then I have to drill through the first floor to finish up the plumbing. Any ideas on going through the floor?
I was thinking about trying to do something along the lines of a receptacle box.
Of course with no electric, then use a blank cover on the box. Hole saw cover and box itself to have two 1" pvc sch 40. Go through this box.
Of course if I ever move, then I could switch the box and cover. Then make it an actual working outlet.
I am going to use a product call tigerflex. I sell it to pool and spa workers. It is a flexible sch 40 pvc that glues to normal ridgid pvc sch 40 fittings. It has a somewhat rubber feel to it, so I'm hoping that will help out with vibrations if there is any. Plus with the flexibility it will help me move it to the wall and convert over to the ridgid sch 40 you see in the picture.

Thanks again for the advice and ideas

Edit : also, was just dry fitting my equipment. I am going to use a stand on the skimmer. I'm contemplating on raising in a way that the discharge would be over the first under baffle if that makes sense? Idk, just a crazy thought.

20190323_185225.jpg

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! If it were my house I'd just drill holes with hole saws that were the exact size of the pipe and plumb it through but I'd do it really close to the wall so I could strategically place some trim over the holes if I ever move. Also really like the idea about the tiger flex and your sharpie water lines, it looks like you're really thinking this through!

Back