DIY SUMP

leahkammeraad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a sump for the 125 gallon I'm setting up using 2 20 longs and a bulkhead to connect them. in the first one I plan on having a felt filter mat on top of some marine blocks instead of filter socks. then the protein skimmer and the heaters in the second tank I'm going to have a refugium with macro algae and a return pump planning on using course filter sponge to divide sections mainly the refugium from the return pump. Wondering if I can/should use the sand from my current tank in the refugium its full of bristle worms? any thought?

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put sand in my fuge and seeded it with bristleworms. So your first two replies demonstrate you can do either with success.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I understand, you want to connect two 20 gallon long tanks by installing a bulkhead in each and then connecting them with a piece of PVC?

The only potential problem I see is that the two sections are independent of each other. If one gets bumped or moved, the torque could be enough to leverage at the bulkhead and crack the glass.

I suggest building a frame in which to install your sump so that it can only move as a complete unit.

Reeferjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe find a 33g long or 40g long for a sump pretty much same as 2 20g longs

Hypan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to drill tanks anyways. I’d suggest maybe a 36” 30 gallon as main sump and a standard 20 drilled and sitting up a little higher than the 30 so it drains back into it. Tee off your return to feed fuge. That way you can control flow and no the 30 should give you enough room during a power outage.

OP
OP
L

leahkammeraad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to drill tanks anyways. I’d suggest maybe a 36” 30 gallon as main sump and a standard 20 drilled and sitting up a little higher than the 30 so it drains back into it. Tee off your return to feed fuge. That way you can control flow and no the 30 should give you enough room during a power outage.
I was originally thinking of doing this with the 20 gallons

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand correctly you want compartments more or less. Or separate small aquariums linked together for specific rolls. Overflow drain, filter mat/roller, equipment, pass through to fuge, return? Something like that, right?

Anyway there are modular sumps and it is a nice idea. DIY I would second what @Dom noted and build a cradle or frame or brace so that they don't move. Pressure or torque will shatter the class and you will have a pretty big mess on your hands.

Also make sure you have redundancy built in to handle flow should one line get backed up. You noted refugium and/or macro algae. They can block intakes or screens as can critters such has urchins, small snails, and more. Make sure you test once everything is running, shut off power, use a ping pong ball, whatever but test it such that you know you won't have more water than the sump can handle with power off. Then do another test with one line blocked...

Also add high quality unions inbetween so you can disconnect with ease for maintenance or swap.

Edit: Also 3 is a better number for this. Overflow drain / filter media / skimmer / heater-> refugium -> return pump / dosing. Something or a combination depending on equipment size.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand using (2) 20 gallon long tanks if you already have them. But if you plan on purchasing them as part of your sump project, I'd ask you to reconsider and buy 1 larger tank.

REEFER-RICK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now there is a difference between a sump and a refuigium from what I know I had sand in my refuiguim for my Macro worked great but a plain sump no baffles big problem

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back