DIY Tank Stand

Pakman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are their any threads on this forum that discuss step by step for building your own tank stand? I see a lot of people build the frame but I have yet to see discussions regarding the fascia or skins of the stand.

Ras Bubbles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the frame is basically the most important, the skin is the fun part where your imagination comes alive. Basically just wood work, ripping and mitering either wood or other materials. I have been meaning to create a tutorial, but have not found the time.

Your welcome to take a look at my diy stand thread, which is still in progress. Hopefully something you see may stimulate an idea.

Good luck!!

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own. I used 3/4 inch plywood that was already sanded. It was $60 a sheet but worth it as I didn't have to sand it. I used 1x2 sanded wood to frame in the doors and sides to hide the imperfections from the cutting of the plywood. I used an 18ga brad nails to put the trim on the stained the whole thing. It turned out nice and matches my furniture I already have.

OP
OP
P

Pakman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the frame is basically the most important, the skin is the fun part where your imagination comes alive. Basically just wood work, ripping and mitering either wood or other materials. I have been meaning to create a tutorial, but have not found the time.

Your welcome to take a look at my diy stand thread, which is still in progress. Hopefully something you see may stimulate an idea.

Good luck!!
I’m following your thread

OP
OP
P

Pakman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own. I used 3/4 inch plywood that was already sanded. It was $60 a sheet but worth it as I didn't have to sand it. I used 1x2 sanded wood to frame in the doors and sides to hide the imperfections from the cutting of the plywood. I used an 18ga brad nails to put the trim on the stained the whole thing. It turned out nice and matches my furniture I already have.
Do you have any pics of the finished product?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20181010_110556.jpg
some pics. Top is outside. Plywood covering 2x4 frame with 1x2 covering plywood edges. Bottom is inside frame work and extras for equipment.
20181010_110520.jpg

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frame or stand itself is the most important thing. I have a build thread for a hex tank stand and canopy. It would be a lot easier to build the side panels and front panels for a rectangular or square tank, but the technique is similar. If ou are going to build a stand from scratch partition a section for the power bars and electronics to limit their exposure to salt spray and high humidity. The link to my build thread is in my signature below.

Noobreefer22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to make a stand using 2x4
I don’t know if it just me but I built two stand one without and one with 3/4 plywood on top but the plywood made it a lot easier to level the tank
Just use a drill and jigsaw to get holes for plumbing if it’s a reef ready tank

Fiveo124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have an idea of how to fran a Stand that is 72x 25 but put a 72x18? Would you just build it like you would a 72x24 tank any special changes?
I’m aware the bigger stand should hold the weight I’m just concerned because if the weight is not on the outside frame I’ll have issues

Noobreefer22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just have three vertical 2x4 on each side one in front, one at 18 inches and one in the back

Porcelain Crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made a few stands and found if you aren't into the traditional wood stand the cladding finish is very challenging / time consuming to get an even result. For my most recent stand I used pre made IKEA kitchen panels and just glued them to the painted frame, worked a charm!

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure that you overlap the joints, you do not want to rely on the screws supporting the weight. Basically the screw just hold the wood in place. Be sure to use a good quality waterproof wood glue also. Hope the pictures help.

20171028_153656.jpg

20171028_153640.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 43 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.2%
Back