DIY tank?

rocky reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so ive been thinking about upgrading my tank lately to at least a 50g with built in holes for filtration but those can be pricey based on my budget right now. ive been reading articles about how to build a diy fish tank that size with thick glass or acrylic panels and silicone to seal them together but i haven't seen anyone do this and i'm worried about trying. does anyone have a diy fish tank, or know anyone that has one? if so, was it easy? will the tank be stable enough to actually hold at least 50g of water? i want to try it out so bad because i'm pretty handy with diy projects but the last thing i need is to wake up in the middle of the night to my tank exploding and my fish all over the floor

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This might be easier than it appears…they got plenty of vids on this, I’d post some youtube links but there are a few to choose from…
Anyway, I’ve built a few, the latest techniques used spacers between the glass panels …
You may also want to pre drill, Amazon glass bit prices aint bad
edit add: here is one

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know what time range your looking at to upgrade, but @Tenecor Aquariums was talking about doing a flat pack aquarium package. Let me find that thread real quick..

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here it is.

OP
OP
R

rocky reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be easier than it appears…they got plenty of vids on this, I’d post some youtube links but there are a few to choose from…
Anyway, I’ve built a few, the latest techniques used spacers between the glass panels …
You may also want to pre drill, Amazon glass bit prices aint bad
edit add: here is one

this video is awesome, i'll definitely take a look into this and try it out myself. thank you!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made two boxes from glass panels now that are in current use and will be building my next 200+g tank from panels. It's really not hard.

There are a few steps to be followed, repeatedly. A few tricks learned to help speed things up.

The most important parts to me are having a dead flat work surface, plenty of 90° corner clamps, and an extra set of winning hands.

I honestly think MOST diy inclined people, could do it.

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it but the result was too ugly to use.

I think it depends on your tolerance for messy silicone seams. Will you be able to make something that can hold water? YES, yes you can.

Will it look good????

Probably not. at least not as good as say an aqueon rimmed aquarium, yeah, thats how messy it can be.

Plus cost savings is potentially minimal as well. I could have bought a professionally made acrylic aquarium from a local maker and picked it up myself at their shop (no shipping charge) for a hundred more then buying the glass for my 45 gallon tank.

Plus it turned out the glass company I used didn't have 90 degree angles on each of the panels which further complicated my build. I had just assumed that would be the case.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Painters tape, on everything.....

These youtube videos shows professionals, with high quality guns and tons of experience.....

Wider painters tape along the surfaces where silicone will be, after siliconing and joining two panels, securing them and aligning, apply more silicone along the seam, with wet finger or little spatula smooth the silicone from bottom to top of line, and imedialtely remove tape. Proceed to next panel. Repeat and voila....

Perfectly glued tank, with neat and professional looking seams....

I also cover every panel with newspaper, just to be sure that i accidentaly dont touch glass with dirty fingers and leave silicone residue on viewing parts.... Easy to remove afterwards, but still....

Of course, quality silicone gun is good to have.....

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so ive been thinking about upgrading my tank lately to at least a 50g with built in holes for filtration but those can be pricey based on my budget right now. ive been reading articles about how to build a diy fish tank that size with thick glass or acrylic panels and silicone to seal them together but i haven't seen anyone do this and i'm worried about trying. does anyone have a diy fish tank, or know anyone that has one? if so, was it easy? will the tank be stable enough to actually hold at least 50g of water? i want to try it out so bad because i'm pretty handy with diy projects but the last thing i need is to wake up in the middle of the night to my tank exploding and my fish all over the floor
also... there's an online formula someone put together for safety factor you can reference for glass thickness based on size.

Mine is 6ftx30inchx 18 tall +2 inch of water clearance I used half inch glass.

OP
OP
R

rocky reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also... there's an online formula someone put together for safety factor you can reference for glass thickness based on size.

Mine is 6ftx30inchx 18 tall +2 inch of water clearance I used half inch glass.
perfect, i'll take a look into it. thank you! :)

AJTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just posted mine in the diy section. Complete diy. You can do it. Practice silicone injection, masking tape and extra set of hands. And don't be afraid to redo it if not satisfied.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Full frame

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back