DIY Glass Tank Kits. Anyone interested in building your with pre-cut panels?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a product planning meeting every Friday morning and the idea of offering DIY glass aquariums came up again.

The Concept

Offer for sale pre-cut aquarium kits for DIY assembly consisting of beveled and polished low iron glass panels. The kit will include optional AIO systems. The product line will be kit equivalents of all the popular Chinese tanks on the market today. (Many of the popular brand name glass tanks are manufactured by the same Chinese firm). Silicone, spacers and alignment jigs all included.

The Value Proposition

Up to 30 to 40% cost savings over pre-assembled tanks. Significant portion of the savings would come from greatly reduced shipping costs.

We already bought the domain GlassAquariumKits.com and have established relationships with glass manufacturers. This post is part of our market research before we commit to it.

We want to hear from you.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the same in acrylic. That would be cool.
Acrylic is much more difficult to DIY. Getting good seams is by orders of magnitude harder than putting a glass box together. Especially with the larger sizes. Having said that, we would gladly supply precuts to anyone who wants them. Just no guarantees.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea, although....

Include some steps, recommended silicone for that region/country for long lasting hold. Make sure holes are pre drilled and a guide or included plumbing again with steps

I'm suggesting this as you want to target more then just the DIY, you want to make this option more affordable and simple for the less DIY to target a bigger audience. And don't just limit yourself to low iron, we know normal float glass once filled with water still looks amazing as well and can save another buck or 2

Think of it like flat pack aquariums

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could see it working but also failing. While many people would put their tank together correctly, I can see just as many doing it incorrectly and ending up with failed tanks. At least if a seam fails on the major brands, there’s usually some warranty where as I’m not sure how a warranty would apply in a user built kit

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could see it working but also failing. While many people would put their tank together correctly, I can see just as many doing it incorrectly and ending up with failed tanks. At least if a seam fails on the major brands, there’s usually some warranty where as I’m not sure how a warranty would apply in a user built kit
This is exactly right and one of the two reasons we have hesitated. The other argument is that we will be eating our babies and cannibalizing acrylic sales. This one is not so strong since in the larger sizes (150 gallons and up) we already beat glass hands down. Good obsrevation.

gwainrig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like a very good idea..lots of diy'ers out there. I would think that most people doing this would understand that putting together would be at your own risk..risk must be bolded for the hard of seeing. the cost would have to be worth the risk for the diy'er..

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea, although....

Include some steps, recommended silicone for that region/country for long lasting hold. Make sure holes are pre drilled and a guide or included plumbing again with steps

I'm suggesting this as you want to target more then just the DIY, you want to make this option more affordable and simple for the less DIY to target a bigger audience. And don't just limit yourself to low iron, we know normal float glass once filled with water still looks amazing as well and can save another buck or 2

Think of it like flat pack aquariums
Just bought flatpackfishtanks.com.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like a very good idea..lots of diy'ers out there. I would think that most people doing this would understand that putting together would be at your own risk..risk must be bolded for the hard of seeing. the cost would have to be worth the risk for the diy'er..
I think warranty with in reasonable grounds. Provided instructions were followed and photos backed up the claims. Before and after for example, glass panel was shipped broken vs dropped. You could provide the silicone to also inhance the seal quality. It not like pre bought already made aquariums come with a decent warranty anyway

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Options for PVC bottoms and smoked back panels would be nice as well.
The PVC bottom idea is a good one. Then the pre-drilling issue goes away and we can offer internal overflows.

EDIT: and the freight expense dropped again..

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea yet. We are looking at tanks in the mid range of gallons. 40 to 200 gallons. Take the cost of a popular brand and multiply their retail price by .70

So a standard 40 breeder at basically $55 standard retail non sale. So your thinking your price would be around ~38 bucks?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we're at it I would like to see more low tanks. A frag option for say only 8-12" height would be nice.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgrade my frag from my current setup I'll take a better look. I did check them out along with others when purchasing the hush flow AIO the other day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back