DIY upgrade

TobyPhatz77

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 17, 2020
Messages
26
Reaction score
7
Location
Scotland
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late in documenting this one but gone from my 5yr 30 litre nano to a 200 litre with 80 litre sump.

Built the stand and used a 100 litre tank to build my sump adding 5 baffles.
Drilled 4 holes and plumbed in the bean animal style. Nice and quiet!
The only noise is at my final baffles / bubble trap where I’ve added a filter pad which cancels it out.

Cured my rocks for a couple of months and barely noticed my cycle with nitrates appearing after a week.

Moved a cardinal and goby over after being given them with the 100 litre. After a few weeks of adding pods in the hope to start a colony I bought a 6 stripe wrasse.

Everything was cool for another 2 weeks though I wouldn’t have picked the cardinal or goby if I hadn’t been given them. They don’t seem to have much personality.

Then the algae bomb hit and my tank turned brown. Over a week or 2 reds and greens appeared so I made the decision to buy a powder blue tang to keep until it gets too big and then either upgrade or sell the tang.
At this point I had the tang, a tuxedo urchin, 2 big turbo snails, 5 nasarias and 3 red legged hermits in my clean up crew and they didn’t make any difference to the amount of algae.

Added a lawnmower blenny today and the tang hasn’t gave it a chance to come out for more than 30 seconds.

Will see how it goes and update soon.

EA055957-4116-4789-9FB0-12101A5ADBED.jpeg
 
Late in documenting this one but gone from my 5yr 30 litre nano to a 200 litre with 80 litre sump.

Built the stand and used a 100 litre tank to build my sump adding 5 baffles.
Drilled 4 holes and plumbed in the bean animal style. Nice and quiet!
The only noise is at my final baffles / bubble trap where I’ve added a filter pad which cancels it out.

Cured my rocks for a couple of months and barely noticed my cycle with nitrates appearing after a week.

Moved a cardinal and goby over after being given them with the 100 litre. After a few weeks of adding pods in the hope to start a colony I bought a 6 stripe wrasse.

Everything was cool for another 2 weeks though I wouldn’t have picked the cardinal or goby if I hadn’t been given them. They don’t seem to have much personality.

Then the algae bomb hit and my tank turned brown. Over a week or 2 reds and greens appeared so I made the decision to buy a powder blue tang to keep until it gets too big and then either upgrade or sell the tang.
At this point I had the tang, a tuxedo urchin, 2 big turbo snails, 5 nasarias and 3 red legged hermits in my clean up crew and they didn’t make any difference to the amount of algae.

Added a lawnmower blenny today and the tang hasn’t gave it a chance to come out for more than 30 seconds.

Will see how it goes and update soon.

EA055957-4116-4789-9FB0-12101A5ADBED.jpeg
Any updates?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new