DIY upgrade

TobyPhatz77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late in documenting this one but gone from my 5yr 30 litre nano to a 200 litre with 80 litre sump.

Built the stand and used a 100 litre tank to build my sump adding 5 baffles.
Drilled 4 holes and plumbed in the bean animal style. Nice and quiet!
The only noise is at my final baffles / bubble trap where I’ve added a filter pad which cancels it out.

Cured my rocks for a couple of months and barely noticed my cycle with nitrates appearing after a week.

Moved a cardinal and goby over after being given them with the 100 litre. After a few weeks of adding pods in the hope to start a colony I bought a 6 stripe wrasse.

Everything was cool for another 2 weeks though I wouldn’t have picked the cardinal or goby if I hadn’t been given them. They don’t seem to have much personality.

Then the algae bomb hit and my tank turned brown. Over a week or 2 reds and greens appeared so I made the decision to buy a powder blue tang to keep until it gets too big and then either upgrade or sell the tang.
At this point I had the tang, a tuxedo urchin, 2 big turbo snails, 5 nasarias and 3 red legged hermits in my clean up crew and they didn’t make any difference to the amount of algae.

Added a lawnmower blenny today and the tang hasn’t gave it a chance to come out for more than 30 seconds.

Will see how it goes and update soon.

EA055957-4116-4789-9FB0-12101A5ADBED.jpeg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late in documenting this one but gone from my 5yr 30 litre nano to a 200 litre with 80 litre sump.

Built the stand and used a 100 litre tank to build my sump adding 5 baffles.
Drilled 4 holes and plumbed in the bean animal style. Nice and quiet!
The only noise is at my final baffles / bubble trap where I’ve added a filter pad which cancels it out.

Cured my rocks for a couple of months and barely noticed my cycle with nitrates appearing after a week.

Moved a cardinal and goby over after being given them with the 100 litre. After a few weeks of adding pods in the hope to start a colony I bought a 6 stripe wrasse.

Everything was cool for another 2 weeks though I wouldn’t have picked the cardinal or goby if I hadn’t been given them. They don’t seem to have much personality.

Then the algae bomb hit and my tank turned brown. Over a week or 2 reds and greens appeared so I made the decision to buy a powder blue tang to keep until it gets too big and then either upgrade or sell the tang.
At this point I had the tang, a tuxedo urchin, 2 big turbo snails, 5 nasarias and 3 red legged hermits in my clean up crew and they didn’t make any difference to the amount of algae.

Added a lawnmower blenny today and the tang hasn’t gave it a chance to come out for more than 30 seconds.

Will see how it goes and update soon.

EA055957-4116-4789-9FB0-12101A5ADBED.jpeg
Any updates?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back