DIY VorTech Bearing Replacement: The Truth

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the new QuietDrive coming out soon, let's talk about the topic of noise reduction.

The topic of DIY bearing replacement isn't new, but I'd like to share the following thoughts straight from EcoTech themselves.

"The QD driver will reduce the motor whine of any VorTech pump. This accounts for 90% of all motor noise that consumers complain about. However- some pumps will develop blown bearings with use and noise as a result. This is a different noise and a QD driver will NOT correct it, only a new dry side or a DIY repair can fix a blown bearing.

Lots of self-proclaimed experts are stating that we use "cheap" non-sealed bearings: this is not true. We use extremely high-quality motor grade NMB sealed bearings that are pre-loaded with a grease that is designed for operation at our temperatures. Running 24-7 in a saltwater environment with axial loading as well as varying amounts of radial loading (due to misalignment) can wreak all kinds of havoc on many pumps. We have spent extensive amounts of time and money researching blown bearings and have found that all too often a blown bearing is due to salt penetration into our bearings. When I say salt penetration I am referring to vapor, not outright water damage. This is just a fact of life with pumps in the saltwater aquarium industry and is no more our fault than it is the fault of the consumer.
This is why some DIY bearing replacements work to reduce noise and others do not." (EcoTech Marine)

Randy
EcoTech Product Test Team

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back