DIY vs. Commercial: What type of sump is under your tank?

What type of sump is under your tank?

• Commercial sump

Votes: 175 42.2%
  • DIY Sump

Votes: 152 36.6%
  • No sump - AIO

Votes: 53 12.8%
  • No sump - canister filter

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 24 5.8%

• Total voters

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After building a few DIY sumps over the years, I finally bought a Synergy Reef Sump this year and I am super happy I did.

DIY is obviously more cost effective, and I think it can sometimes be better catered for those who do a lot of DIY... but having a large acrylic sump with many best practices already implemented has been a gamechanger for me.

It also looks nice, which passively increases my enjoyment of the hobby.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea (4 tanks) but the lack of refugium options or space is frustrating and had me buying the Tunze macro reactor …. not 100% certain exactly how effective it is so far…
regardless done nothing for the pH, thats for certain

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Previously, I had a retail sump, but for the last 2+ years I've been using a DIY sump I built from a new 55 gal tank with an Exotic Marine Systems sump kit. I appreciated the flexibility of design, the process of building the sump, as well as the look & efficiency of the DIY sump and will most likely stick with DIY sumps going forward.

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mostly commercial sumps (synergy makes some amazing sumps) but I’m actually switching to a DIY as we speak. It wasn’t that I’m not happy with the synergy sumps it’s just that I switched from filter socks to fleece roller mat, new protein skimmer and the dimensions just don’t work for my current synergy sump.

I actually had a question about my DIY sump if anyone could take a look at the thread below any input is appreciated TIA

IMG_9376.jpeg IMG_2634.jpeg IMG_2795.jpeg IMG_7836.jpeg IMG_7863.jpeg IMG_7872.jpeg

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a brute tub modified with a gravity feed ato. A skimmer and chiller pump water from the sump and a couple of submersible pumps to provide returns to the main tank.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
DIY 20G long sump with a drain chamber, 2 filter sock chambers/holders, skimmer/heater chamber, fuge chamber, baffles/bubble trap, and return chamber.

i’m thinking of remaking my sump to have 1 less chamber(combining the filter drain/filter sock/and skimmer/heater chambers together) to have a bigger fuge area

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mostly commercial sumps (synergy makes some amazing sumps) but I’m actually switching to a DIY as we speak. It wasn’t that I’m not happy with the synergy sumps it’s just that I switched from filter socks to fleece roller mat, new protein skimmer and the dimensions just don’t work for my current synergy sump.

I actually had a question about my DIY sump if anyone could take a look at the thread below any input is appreciated TIA

IMG_9376.jpeg IMG_2634.jpeg IMG_2795.jpeg IMG_7836.jpeg IMG_7863.jpeg IMG_7872.jpeg
Of course when your intention is to re-use the sump this isn’t helpful, but (as you probably know) Synergy makes a Reefmat compatible CL-34. I just commissioned them to make a custom CL-28 (2 inches longer than their stock CL-26), build to accommodate a Reefmat 500 + skimmer in one chamber, and dual 3/4” returns from the return chamber. Will post pics when it comes in.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55-gallon Brute and two 40-gallon Bel-Art laboratory tanks (1 is lighted refugium, other is cryptic) in basement. Tank is on main floor.

Soon to switch to two 150 gallon or a single 300-gallon Rubbermaid stock tank. Can't decide.

Jjmg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sump with HOB filters on both my 40 and 60 gal breeders. Voted other.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back